Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Help! My axie's got a bloated throat! :(

Lacrima

Reaction score
Dear All,

Please, help!! My axie is ill and I have no idea how to help her.
The symptoms are as follows: her goiter has swollen so much that even her mouth is slightly open. This makes her head so heavy that she finds it difficult to move because her tail moves upward.

The temperature of waterin the tank is never higher than 20 degrees C. There are no strong water flows, and she couldn't have swallowed anything (we checked). We use SERA aquatan water conditioner and recently we've used SERA floremette A fertilizer tablets (for plants).

We are trying to treat her with antibiotics: Amikacin injections (5mg/1kg in isotonic solution). We've made two injections so far (one in 48 hours, today it was the second time).

Anyway, we've no idea whether is is stomatitis or some kidney/heart/organ problem.

We've tired to contact veterinaries in Latvia in search of help, but no one knows how to treat diseases of axolotles.

I would be very thankful if you could help with advice.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Julia

Attachments

• mashka 1.jpg
    mashka 1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 363
  • mashka 2.jpg
    mashka 2.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 541

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Also the stones in thetank look small enough to be swallowed, even if they haven't caused the swollen throat in your axie. Sorry I can't help, hope your axie gets better.

Lacrima

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

Thanks for advice.
We've finished antibiotics course, but no result so far.
I think we will try fridging, just need to read more about it, since we've never done it before...Hope it helps...

RE: apple snails
We do not have any in our tank.

RE: small stones
Do you think sand will be better? Or shall we try big stones (will it be convenient for axie's feet)?

Julia

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Well rinsed sand will be fine, the larger stones are a nuisance as they trap and hide debris. I prefer no substrate as it is much easier to keep clean.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
That gravel has to go. Your axies throat problem is probally caused by that. I would say that there is a 75% chance that he has injested gravel. Fridge him for a few days and see if he spits it up. Sand or a bare bottom tank is the only two ways that is recommended for keeping Axies. Although I love your gravel and plants axies just end up eating the gravel. Some axies even die from the impaction. Fridgeing and time are the only things you can do. Chances are he will spit them up over a few days. Good luck

Lacrima

Reaction score
Thank you for loads of valuable advice!

We have put our Axie into the fridge (after having read the following link: Axolotl Sanctuary). I hope it helps!

We are a bit worried though about how she feels there alone in coldness...

I will keep this thread updated about Mashka's progress!

If you have any other ideas about how to help her apart from fridging and antibiotics, please, let me know.

By the way, do you think it could be a good idea to use salt baths??

Thanks in advance for your comments/advice (separate thanks from Mashka ;)).

Julia

melfly

Reaction score
No. Salt baths are for fungus. Your axolotl will be fine in the fridge. It will help her to de-stress and help her to heal. Mel

Lacrima

Reaction score
Well, we haven't really opened her mouth to look in, but she ate the day before yesterday, and there seemed to be nothing foreign in her mouth.
Anyway, we will try to check tomorrow when we change water in her fridge nano-tank...Thank you

Lacrima

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

Our Mashka is still alive! We haven't noticed any changes in her condition.

We have tried to feed Mashka, but she doesn't want to eat.

If something happens, we will post it here at once.

Andrey (Mashka's Papa)

callina

Reaction score
Hi Lacrima,

did you look into her mouth?

Your axie looks very similar to the axie of my friend. The poor little axie had a ramshorn snail in his mouth and it had to be removed with a forceps.
My friend has posted it in our German forum http://www.ambystoma-board.de

2010-02-22__MG_2640-01.jpg

Tina

Lacrima

Reaction score
Hi, everyone!!

We have an update! Yesterday Mashka pooed with several small stones (0.5cm in diameter) and today, after having changed water in her nano-tank, we have looked into her mouth and found a huge decorative 1,5x1,1x0,5cm stonein it! God knows how she managed to swallow it. It took us almost an hour to take it out..she didn't even resist when we were trying to pull out that stone (poor thing). By the way, we took it out with the help of a teaspoon!

We decided to leave her in the fridge till tomorrow to relieve after such a stress. Hope she'll be fine now...Tomorrow we'll take a photo of her and post it here :)
We will change the gravel in the tank without delay!

Maybe it's too early, but we'd like to thank everyone in this thread who contributed and who tried to help! Thank you, guys!! :wacko:

Julia and Andrey

melfly

Reaction score
Oh dear, glad its out now!
They will try and eat anything that they can get in their mouths....
Mel

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I am so glad thats sorted. Do keep an eye on her, maybe keep her fridged for a few more days so you can see what is coming out.

Lacrima

Reaction score
Hello!

Mashka is back to her tank now, and we've changed the gravel (now we use sand).

:happy:

Attachments

• Mashka.jpg
    Mashka.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 485
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1