Vacation disaster

tuxar linuxarmy

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Display Name
tuxarnator
i was on vacation for a month and let a friend take care of my axies
i came back and the tank was stain with blue algae the light of the tank has been on for a long time and my white axies got very mucht pigmentation spots :(
they are starved almost to death now i got very skinny lotls with blackend heads:mad:

my friend got alot of explaining to do

i have started with cleaning the blue algae
and feeding my axies on hope they wil come back to the normal forms

tuxar

Hello Tuxar,

This sounds very sad. But what do you mean with blackend heads?

I hope your Axies will get better soon.

Gr.
Jamy

PS. Ik kom ook uit Nederland. Heb de eerste 20 jaar van mijn leven in Vlissingen gewoond, nu in Tilburg. Waar uit Zeeland kom jij?

I believe growth checks help the establisment of pigment freckles in white(Leucistic) axolotls. The pigment is not itself a sign of disease and will probably remain. I like my dark pigmented leucistic which had several growth checks due to injury needing fridging. The appearance is so much more interesting than plain white.

Feed your axolotls small meals for a few days to avoid a massive load of protein which can overload the kidneys and cause bloat. Wishing them a good recovery!

hello jamy

i mean that my axies have almost dubbel there pigmenttation duuring the vacation
i was worried becuase if we get many pigmentation spots (moedervlekken) its an show of cancer skin cancers to be percise i dont know if its the same for axies

tuxar

ps ik woon in Oosterland maar ben orspronkelijk uit almere
zeeland is wel chill :D

hello Ocean blue

yes but the sudden growth of pigmentation kinds of worries me becuase they had a few spots before i left on my vacation i came back and they sudden have almost there whole heads black of the spots and on there backs i dont know if its harmful such an sudden growth of spots becuase if it happens to humans it could be an high chance of skin cancer and i dont know if its the same for axies

yes i have been giving them small food like water fleas brines frozen bloodworms
next week i wil start with there normal diet that exists of earth worms and snacks
(snacks)-brine beefheart pilbugs and guppies

tuxar

what also worries me is that my tank was full of blue algae i know that blue algae have toxins and can even kill the biggest of spiecies

i kept my axies in there former tank 30 gallon tank 60 40 50 cm
when cleaning the tank i was affriad my axies could get those toxins when i was cleaning it

they have been normal so i dont think they got sick from it luckly

Hi Tuxar,

Hmm my Axolotl has spots to. I bought him as a baby and I have him for 4 weeks or so, and the freckles are showing more and more. Now I'm afraight it's funges or something. I first thought the freckles were showing because he is growing really fast.

What are you going to do now?

hello Jamy

if its fungi then i need to salt bath them or even fridge them those are things i do not like to do to my axies :(

tuxar

hello jamy

if your axie is 4 weeks old then its normal to have an slight increase on freckles but you never know for sure i wil post new pix of my axies today but its not an pleasent sight how thye become after my vacation they became very skinny

tuxar

Hi Tuxar,

My Axie is not 4 weeks old. I got him for 4 weeks or so. But he is somewhere around 9 cm, and I guess he's grown around 2 cm since I have him. He looks very happy and healthy but now I've heart about the freckles I kinda's worried.

Please show me the pictures of yours. I understand you don't want to salt bath them, they will not like it. But you gotta do what you've gotta do in order to make them healthy.

hello Jamy

i will return home from (stage) dont know the engelish name for it lol
then i wil take pics and set it on this thread
yes i know they dont like it but im going to saltbath them this evening to make sure

tuxar

Hi guys, i think your worrying yourselves here. Jamy,- dont worry your axolotls freckles are completely normal. My year old axolotl Finley started off with no freckles and now he has a fair few. Fungus is white and fluffy so you dont need to panic that the freckles are something they are not. Tuxar i think your doin the right thing. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the freckles either just keep your water parameters good and your water cool. Feed him up a bit and i'm sure he'll be fine. Mel

Last edited:
I agree do not worry about the pigment freckles. Increasing pigmented spots in humans are bad news because they are abnormal pigmented cells. The pigment freckles in white axolotls are the few normal melanocytes that manage to establish in an abnormal extracellular matrix. The abnormality in the matrix partially corrects on maturity, but by then most of the melanocytes have failed to make it to the skin.

Think of the freckles as little bits of normal pigmentation in an otherwise abnormal axolotl, it's the white bits elsewhere which are really the abnormality!

Oh by the way Tuxar dont salt bath him unless there is fugus present you could do more harm than good.
From your description it doesn't sound like he has fungus.
A salt bath is not to prevent anything, its to kill off fungus.....which your axolotl doesn't have.

Mel

@ jamy -thanks

@melfly - thanks luckly i didnt saltbath them then

im happy to hear it isnt somthing bad

sorry for the pics my cam only give light reflections

grr at silic sand

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back