Dying baby

melfly

Reaction score
Country
England
Hello, i have a 4 month old axolotl who is very small, all this batch are small i'm assuming its down to the cold. He is only about 4cm big. He has a nasty case of fungus. I have salt bathed and fridged him but he doesn't look like he's gonna make it. I didn't leave him in the salt bath too long with him been so small, and i didn't want to keep him in the fridge either so he's now just cool and dark. I dont think anything will save him and i imagine he is in great pain. Should i do something to put him out of his misery or just leave him to die in peace. Poor little guy! Thanks Mel

Ok well he's still alive this morning, i'm not sure whether i should continue salt baths or leave him alone. Anyone?

Hi Mel,

i've heard of people making use of clove oil to ease passing but i know little about it...

how long have you been salt bathing him? i assume if you've done a full treatment then there would be little point in continuing

hope he pulls through :)

tx

gaz

Other than taking it to a vet your only other option I could think of is to give it the full adult regiment of a salt bath.

If you feel that euthanasia is the best option then you can put some Orajel, or any other toothache medicine containing Benzocaine, on its belly.

Thanks guys, i'm just giving him an adult salt bath but its not looking good. I'm not sure there would be much a vet could do for such a small poorly guy. I think he would die on the journey there. The fungus has spread all over his gills and onto his face now from his arm where it was originally. I might see how he goes on today but i dont think there is much hope to be honest. He's been fighting it for about 3 days but it takes hold pretty quick. I expected him to have died in the night to be honest. I'l let you know about him later. Thank you. Mel

Hi Mel,

I´m so sad to hear about that.
Where is the fungus located? If it´s on the whole body, most of these young aged axies don´t make it. They aren´t robust enough to fight the fungus.

I would think about an euthanasia. :)

edit: now I´ve read your last post. That doesn´t sond good. But you can try a different kind of salt bathing him. 1 teaspoon in 10 litres water and put him in there for 24 hours.
These little axies cannot tolerate high salt solutions. So I would prefer this method.

Tina

Hi guys thanks for all your suggestions. The little one didn't make it . He fought for some time bless him. Mel

hi melfly

sorry to hear about your baby......you and he did your best

lea

I would recommend buying fungus cure made by jungle the next time you encounter this problem my youngsters are usually healed in 3-4 days.

Thank you all for your kind words xx. @rick is it completely safe for axolotls? Michalaf on here is struggling with fungus on one of her babies. Mel

yes i am :( i search jungle fungus cure but found only fungus eliminator and pond fizz tabs. are either of this stuff it?

I have tried many things over the last couple of years and this one does wonders and isn't to hard on them like the salt baths.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    4.5 KB · Views: 237
thanks i went to walmart ad got some. my poor baby, it has spread t different areas. its on the gills arms and on the tip of tail. hopefully this works. when i got back from walmart my cat had 4 kittens. just wanted to know how long i should keep him in it? and should i change the water or not?

rick the fungus is turning blue since i put the fungus clear in is this normal?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back