New and need Help!

slater41

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Everyone,

I'm from Louisville, Kentucky and need help! I was given two Chinese fire-bellied newts for Christmas after doing MONTHS of research on them and came across this site several times. Unfortunately, I made my first mistake. I normally feed my newts right before I shower and when I'm done check for, and remove any uneaten crickets. A couple of weeks ago, however, i completely forgot, and checked in the morning and saw one of the uneatens had chewed on my newts leg! I asked around at several local fish stores and they all generally said there was nothing I could do so I was wondering if this was true. Please no criticism, I've lost enough sleep already, I just need help!

Welcome!

You will have better luck getting information on your issue if you post it in the "Illness"section of the forums.

Thank You SludgeMonkey,

After reading over what I wrote I probably made it sound worse than it is. The Newt has healed nicely and is now eating again but its leg has not. Its leg just hangs there and i can see the bone, it is also considerably smaller than its other legs. The newt is fine though and regularly eats and swims. Again thank you for your help and I will be looking over in the Illness Section.

Welcome to the board! Please read over this article regarding wounds and sores:

Caudata Culture Articles - Sores

I am sure a moderator will move this thread into the Help section sooner or later, so if you can't find it here, check for it there.

Thank you, I looked over it and there is many things that I could try.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back