Daphnia culturing

NewGuy1

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am soon to recieve a couple axolotl eggs and I would like to be prepared for them to hatch. I am thinking of culturing my own daphnia or atleast finding a reliable source of daphnia to feed my golden axolotl. Any advice or recomendations?

Your best bet is to set up as large a tub of water out in your garden as you can, add some daphnia, and leave them to it.
I have raised daphnia indoors before using various methods and feeding regimes, but large water tubs outside provide me with most of the daphnia I need for yearly newt larvae raising.

There's a subsection of this forum just for live food discussions. You will find many discussions there about the details of daphnia. You can find it by going to the forum main page and look for Live Foods
http://www.caudata.org/forum/

I agree with Morg's advice: use the largest tub you can. Outdoors will usually work better than indoors, but if you need daphnia before the weather gets warm then you may need to grow them indoors.

if you try to keep daphnia inside you have to place a light airpump with a air stone in the water, so that there is a good oxygen flow or else the daphnia dies after a day or so, we feet our axie larvae's naupili when we can't get daphnia's, this wil work but you have to remove the leftovers because, your water get's filthy because the brine shrimps are verry salty

Yea I found Brine Shrimp so I am culturing some of them for now because it was the fastest sure source of food that I could find. I am still searching for a place to buy some daphnia eggs to culture myself. Until I find a source of supply I will just have to take the extra time to clean the tank daily for now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back