Chiller set up.

Blaze

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Blaze
Today my Hailea chiller finally arrived!

I am a little stuck on how to set it up though. I am pretty sure I need to go out and buy some tubing for it.

Has anyone else bought one of these and have set it up?

Any help is welcomed =]

Blaze

Does anyone else have trouble with the noise of chillers. The chiller is so loud we cannot even hear the TV :O. Also I wake up this morning to find that theres just about as much water on the outside of the tank as there is on the inside! the condensation is unbelieveable! I have to keep the temp at 17degrees to stop the chiller from running 24/7 :(
We have plans to move it around and make a cabinat to try and stoop the noise. I think when we move he'll have to have a spare room to himself. SPOILT.

On the plus side, Sunnys loving it lol but CANNOT figure out how that plant got there what what the is that huge pot haha.

When new, they seem very noisy. But once accustomed to the racket the chillers make (they make as much sound as a fridge, really) you'll grow to love your chiller ;). If the noise doesn't abate for you, however, a cabinet is a very good idea, and should help buffer the sound.

As to the matter of condensation...

I've heard that if you wrap the tank walls in a layer or two of 'glad wrap', this prevents condensation from occuring (glad wrap is very clear, so you'll hopefully see Sunny in all his glory). I haven't tried this myself, as the condensation really doesn't bother me (or my axies). If you opt to give this a try, please let us know if it works (or not!).

Thanks Jaquie!

The condensation is barable and I've moved the chiller to the otherside of the tank and it's quieter! and we can live with it lol

Sunnys out being cute again :D

how much does the chiller cool your tank buy? Also if you dont mind me asking how much was the chiller ? thanks

I have it set at 17degrees but can have it all the way down to 15 if I want.

The chiller including postage was $327.

Rather cheap if you ask me!

Does the chiller run on electricity? I'm not sure wether I need to buy one they are quiet expensive and my tank has never been above 22. I hope to find out how much better you think your axys are doing to decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like a bargain after searching for chillers! My tank sits at 14 - 17 just now but it is winter and my room is coldest room in house. in summer its a diffrent story, being the top (attic conversion) it heats up really high so i need one for sure . Thanks for letting me know costs and temps

i just do it ghetto style and put a frozen bottle in the tank every morning before school.
im in florida so its every day. works great.

Having such a large amount of water, frozen bottles weren't even getting it down a degree :O

I am loving the chiller!! I did have to buy another table because of the condensation though.
The chiller runs off electricity but is a very low amount of electricity.

It was well worth the investment!

At some stage my tank was getting to 30degrees so the chiller was absolutly essential unless Sunny wanted to live in that esky forever lol

Blaze

Heres a picture of the set up at the moment

and one of Sunny being oh so cute >.< He truely is the most photogenic axolotl!

Attachments

• 001 (2).jpg
    001 (2).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 329
  • CUTE.jpg
    CUTE.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 338
hi blaze

sunny is so cute.....how big is your tank???where do your get your chiller? all the chillers i have looked at are above the $500 price.

lea

hi dasher
we have temp of up to 40c in summer....it is very hard to keep the temp at a stable temp with just frozen water bottles.........
lea

Yes, the ice bottles brought the tank down around 2degrees so was hopeless! The chiller is going so well, it so much better having it =]

just a question as i'm geting a canister filter this week how would one run a chiller with a canister filter ?

I think it depends on the actual canister filter. If it has an inlet and outlet valve, all you do is connect the outlet of the filter to the chillers inlet and the chillers outlet into the tank. Have you got a link to the particular one you are getting?

Blaze

nah i saw one down at the local pet shop aqua one i will go n suss it out more tomoz too get wat model it is but do know it's costing the $200 mark thanks once again for the info n wisdom blaze

I think it depends on the actual canister filter. If it has an inlet and outlet valve, all you do is connect the outlet of the filter to the chillers inlet and the chillers outlet into the tank. Have you got a link to the particular one you are getting?

Blaze

Hi Blaze. I've got a Eheim 2213 cannister filter and am hunting for a chiller. What you are saying is great news for me. I thought I'd need to get a separate pump to work the chiller. I'll try just using the cannister filter's pump to drive the entire linked system as that is ideal.

Also, where did you say you got your chiller from? I think you got yourself a great deal. I've also got a 3ft tank.

Cheers
Dave

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back