Local Hellbender names

potogold71

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Chad Byrnes
Anyone know names that locals call hellbenders throughout their range. I know of Hellbender, Snot otter, Old lasagna sides. Can anyone add to the list. Thanks, Chad

Waterdogs here in SW Virginia.
Chip

Waterdog and mudpuppy are both used interchangeably,albeit incorrectly, for this species in Western Pennsylvania.

Snot otter and mudpuppy are the only ones I've heard here in Tennessee, but I've seen devil dog and Allegheny alligator in books.

Actually, around here you're pretty hard pressed to find someone who even knows what a hellbender IS...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back