Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water Softener

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi all,

The house I am looking at moving to has a water softener placed between the house's water main and all of the house's internal pipes. I remember vaguely from when I lived in the states that a water softener uses salts ? to soften the water, so that the water is poisonous to plants. I am looking for input about how this would affect an aquarium. The few posts I have been able to find on the forum have suggested curcumventing the water softener. This leads me to think that it would indeed be poisonous to newts, too - correct?

-Eva

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A water softener removes calcium and replaces it with sodium, so you end up with water that is lightly salted and calcium-depleted. I don't think it would be toxic to newts, but it certainly wouldn't be the best kind of water for them. I agree that it would be best if you can circumvent it.

oceanblue

Reaction score
Jennewt has accurately described what water softeners do. You can add in a bit of calcium as calcium chloride to your water and other salts to convert your water to a modified Holtfreters solution but getting an unsoftened feed is recommended for human drinking as well as newts.

Epidemiological studies link hard water with good health and the salt load in artificially softened water can significantly raise human salt intake as well as cutting calcium.

Softened water is fine for washing machines and immersion heaters, but bypass this gadget for drinking if you can.

Reactions: Jan

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Look to see if there's an external faucet (for hoses and such in the garden) that has bypassed the water softener. This is what I did at my parent's house.

blueberlin

Reaction score
Thanks so much, everyone. It's still all theoretical for me at this point because the house is in Illinois and I am still in Berlin, but it has been a point of concern for me. Now I know what to look for. Thank you!

-Eva

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Most, if not all permanent install water softeners like the one you describe have a bypass loop integral so that one can change out filters and the like without having to shut off the entire supply to the house. Merely switch the valve over to "bypass" and then let your tap run for a bit to flush out the soft water. Or if you like, leave it bypassed, drain the exchange tower and not use it ever.

blueberlin

Reaction score
So, it is slowly getting to the time where an inspector will view the house for me. As I am still here in Berlin, my brother will go along with the inspector. I have requested that the water quality be tested. I'm not really sure what else I can do at this point. It seems to me, after reading here, that it would make more sense to put smaller softeners directly behind the laundry and dish washers, rather than filter all water through it. I don't know whether that is a realistic plan, though.

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1