Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Chinese Firebellied vs Eastern Newt

chezr

Reaction score
I'm very interested in getting one of these two species of newt and would like to know of any differences between them that might sway me in one direction or the other. After reading their care sheets and doing a lot of research I think I've come to the conclusion that they're very similar in tank requirements, with maybe the exception that the eastern newt can tolerate slightly higher temperatures. I've also noticed that when people suggest a newt for beginners, CFBNs are almost always mentioned, while eastern newts are not.

I'd like to hear about people's experiences with these newts. Are they really similar newts? Do they differ in personality/activity levels? Also, do Eastern newts have a higher likelihood of becoming terrestrial? (I'll only have a small floating log for land in my tank)

Sorry for all of the questions! I just want to make sure I pick the species of newt that I will be happiest with.

Which species out of the two do you prefer?

Thanks,
Tyler

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are right, they are similar in their requirements and care. In either case, would you be getting them from a pet shop?

If they are healthy to begin with (which is often NOT the case with pet shop newts), then the CFB are more likely to live for a long time. Eastern newts are a bit more unpredictable in how well they do in captivity - some live a long time, but many fall victim to "unknown causes". Notos are really unpredictable, health-wise, even if they start out healthy.

chezr

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I've been leaning towards NVVs or NVDs because I really like the color and the tank's summer temperature will probably be in the low 70s.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find adults so I will be getting them from a pet store. I can't say that I'm happy with the decision, but a store close by just got a shipment of eastern newts in. As far as pet shops go though, this one definitely does its best to treat the animals right. They're very knowledgeable about the animals they keep, and the only reason I haven't bought the Notos yet is because they individually quarantine the animals for a few weeks before they're available to purchase.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That sounds like a decent pet-shop. I would still recommend finding a breeder, though.
I recently lost one adult N.viridescens male that had been perfectly healthy for many months. It was CB and looked great....but suddenly started developing abceses in the base of the tail, which went away but were substituted by a fungal infection. In the end i couldn´t do anything for him.
That´s just to proof Jen´s point about them...

Buying from a petshop will only continue to promote mass wild captures....
Also, if you consider a breeder, you might also find that they offer a species that suits you better thn any of the two mentioned.

Last edited:

chezr

Reaction score
Can you think of a species that might fit better with what I'm able to provide? I live in a college dorm, so I'm limited to a fully aquatic 10 gallon with a turtle dock. Also, I live in Arizona, so the water temperature will be 67°F for most of the year, and my goal is to keep it at 70°F through summer (although that will take work). I also go home during the winter so I'll be able to place my tank outside for a month to winter the animals. If possible I'd like something small so I can have more than one. Thanks for the suggestions.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you skip the winter period outside, i think either Cynops pyrrhogaster or Cynops cyanurus would be a good choice for you. They are available as captive bred (you can find breeders in this forum), they are easy to keep, fully aquatic, beautiful and rather heat-resistent.
If you had a bigger tank, other choices would be available, such as P.waltl, or any Triturus, but personally i think those need more space (at least when adult).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1