Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Not sure what went wrong help

michaelaf

Reaction score
Ok as yall know i had trouble with fungus last week on one of my axies which sadly died.

my other two were perfectly fine yesterday. i fed them and they at a lot, ive been doing 100% water changes and my water temp is normal. when i left to go with my aunt to the hospital to have her baby i checked them and made sure their water perimeters were good.

well i came home today and guess what one of my axies was dead and the other looked poorly. the one that died had its gills curled forward and its tail was too. the poor looking one i put in the fridge in clean water his tail was also curled forward. what could have went wrong, could something polluted my water.please help answer i am so upset.

michaelaf

Reaction score
i have them in a tub and when i didnt do 100% one of my axies got fungus.also they are only babies. i am cycling a tank at the moment.

Samyueruchan

Reaction score
You can keep your axolotl in the tank while the tank is cycling as long as you keep an eye on the water parameters and do small regular water changes to prevent ammonia and nitrite building up high enough to stress your axolotl. I would imagine that it is probably far less stressful being kept in a large cycling tank than it is to be kept in a small tub where 100% water changes have to be done regularly.

melfly

Reaction score
Hi michaela. I'm so sorry to hear that! It sounds to me like it could be heat you know. Sometimes small tubs heat up quite quickly because of the small amount water in them. Keep the poorly one in a cool dark place. Mel

michaelaf

Reaction score
he didnt make it either. well i guess i will empty everything and clean it then maybe try to get another axolotl maybe at an older age so i can have him in the tank and not in tupperware.

melfly

Reaction score
Aw no! This will give you time to cycle your tank ready for your next one. Babies are difficult to look after sometimes, and random things or nothing it seems can kill them off. I have another with fungus now so i'm having the same luck as you just now. Mel

lea

Reaction score
hi michaelaf

im sorry to hear about your axies......keep your chin up.....
lea

michaelaf

Reaction score
im sorry to hear that mel. i wish you the best of luck with your axies and i would like to thank you all for the support and advice. i think i might get a juvie next time instead of babies.
my tanks have been cycled i was about to put them in a 5 gallon until next month when they were bigger and then move them to a 20 that was also already cycled.
well if anyone knows of someone on here in the USA selling or giving away a juvie axie please let me know .i would prefer a black or wild type but will take any color.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1