Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Getting my first axis tomorrow!

Truffs

Reaction score
Hi, i'm getting my first axolotls tomorrow, i was looking to get one but found someone local who is selling 2 as they are moving and sadly cant take them, so i am hoping to give them a very long & loving new home :happy:

Having done a load of research i hope i can keep them happy and healthy but i have two questions to start with that i havent found the answers to yet ..... is an under gravel filter better than a tank side filter? I will have sand as a base and some large smooth pebbles as this is what they are used to.

Also, i have seen live 'wax worms' on sale in pet shops, are these suitable for axis or something to be avoided?

Thanks a lot

GemzD26

Reaction score
Hi,

I will try to answer your questions.

Is an under gravel filter better than a tank side filter?

I would not think you could use a Under gravel filter if you are using sand as a substrate as the under gravel filter sucks from the bottoms so was under the inperession it would suck up the sand as the particles are quite small and will pro choke the filter itself??

I use normal cartridge filters i set mines on the lowest setting and leave it just under the surface of the water.

Also, i have seen live 'wax worms' on sale in pet shops, are these suitable for axis or something to be avoided?

Ive read they can be fed to axolotls as a treat and not part of a stable diet (axolotls find the waxworms shells its self hard to break down in their digestive systems)

So i would avoid these if possible

Best foods you can feed you axolotls is Earthworms,Bloodworms (fresh if possible)and pellets, Occasional treats i feed mines on are prawns chopped up and beefheart.

Hope this helps you!

Truffs

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, yep you're totally right about sand and under gravel filters of course, i'd not thought of that but i was in aquatic shop earlier today looking at them and my partner suggested exactly the same as you so i didnt get one, for now i've decided against sand too and kept the tank set up with a bare bottom with large pebbles, a couple of hiding places and plant - i shall post pics hopefully! :happy: I was undecided what to get as the lady i was getting the axis from didnt have any air or filter in her tank at all.

Thanks for the wax worm advice too, i couldnt find much about them but was curious after seeing them on sale, i shall stick to the softer worms. In fact, they had their first taste of earthworm after they'd settled in today and seemed pretty keen, my daughter dug them up in our garden so i know theres been no chemicals used, i tried offering them using chopsticks but kept dropping the damn worms so my daughter gently popped her hand in the tank and they actually took them from her fingers, she was very happy and so were the axis from the smiles on their faces!! :D

The lady i got them from gave me the tub of food she'd been using, it was floating goldfish pellets so i shall be out tomorrow to get some sinking pellets - i'm hoping they'll accept pellets as if we go on holiday i'm not sure my pet sitter (my mum!) will be too keen on feeding worms, she's only just got over her dislike of feeding salad to our GALS lol!

Thanks for your help, hopefully my axis will like their new home and live long and healthy lives with us

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!