Gross Slime in my Tank, not the Good Kind

Brie

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I put a new stick in my tank, one of those pet shop ones that sink as appose to float. It keeps generating this thick, translucent layer of jelly. When I wash it off it stinks. At first I thought it just needs time to climatize and it'll grow nice green slime but its been over a month and I dont think the newts appreciate me sticking my hand in their tank and pulling their world apart to fish it out and clean it. Is there something wrong with my water that this stick is becoming putrid?

It might not be the kind of wood that is supposed to be in an aquatic tank. Did it say what kind of wood it is? Since it's still bad after this much time, I'd recommending removing it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back