Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Water parameters

matty d

Reaction score
When checking for water, what are you checking for?
I recently gotta testing kit, it checks for nitrate, bacteria, PH, iron, water hardness, copper, sulfate and chlorine.
Is there anything else?
i hope this helps other ppl out as well as me

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you already have the animals...the most important thing to test for is Ammonia (particuarly in an uncycled aquarium). Ammonia is highly toxic, and any reading over '0' presents a great danger to the axolotls. Nitrite is also highly toxic. Nitrate is handy to know (but not as important as Ammonia and Nitrite), as this is the end product of the cycling process, and is non-toxic if kept to low levels through partial water changes.

If your tank is in the process of cycling, and the axolotls are living in this water, I strongly recommend testing your water each day for Ammonia, and doing DAILY partial water changes (to dillute the ammonia levels to acceptable levels for the axolotls while the tank is cycling).

The cycling process can take anywhere from one to three months to complete. I strongly recommend you read these articles (they should answer most, if not all, of your questions about water parameters):

Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

matty d

Reaction score
what would the limits be for each parameter?
My tank is ciruculated, filtered and 4L of fresh water is added and 4L taken out daily (in the form of ice to keep temp down, killing 2 birds with one stone).
I work at a water treatment plant, so i've taken some water in to be
oh by the way thanks for the quick reply, i've only just found time to reply

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Ideally you want these parameters:
Ammonia-0 (If it gets to or above 1ppm do partial water changes each day until the levels come down)
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-<60

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1