Fungus

Eldaroni

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Hi,
I've been following the advice on previous threads, no fishy anti funus and 2 salt baths a day 8 hours apart.
She's has 3 salt baths now (10-15 min each with 2-3 tea spoons aquarium salt per litre) and I wonder how long to keep that up before going to a vet? I realise I may not see immediate results.

Thanks for any advice

Darren

From what I understand, the results should be seen somewhat soon. Like you said not immediately. Have you tried removing some of the more pronounced fungus with a cotton swab?

Yeah I'm trying that too. Her fourth salt bath today, she doesn't like them very much poor thing.:sad:

How big is she and where is the fungis located?

Mel

She's around 8-9 inches long, and its on her feet, nose and gills. I've been trying to pull it off the gills. I'm going past the vets tomorrow so I'm gunna go in. I realise the salt will irritate her skin, the infected areas are going red, am worried to be honest.
I looked on the axolotl Caudata website for an idea about meds but they seem to be all US brands.

Salt is aggressive to the slime coat, so the skin may become a little bit reddish, but if there are no results after 3 days salt bathing her, I would take her to a vet for a check-up.

Tina

Sorry I should have been clearer, 4th salt bath in total over 2 days.
I've booked her in to the vets today 520pm GMT.
I hope I don't need to keep her in the fridge from today as I checked on her after work today and the fridge seems to be broken.
:(

So the vet says there's not much he can do as it's reached the gills and she won't feed.
He also said he'd didn't like the idea of fridging her as he'd want her immune system to fight it off and thought low temps would would slow the metabolism too much for that to happen effectively. He suggested malachite but couldn't get it in the UK.
His book said there was two types of salt treatment
1. 4-6 grames per litre for 72hours.
2. 10-25 grams per litre for 5-30mins

I've read the section on meds for Axols and it warns against Malachite so I wonder how much the vet knows, he did say he wasn't an expert but had a keen interest.

We bought a new fridge too so that won't be a prob if needs be. Please let me know your thoughts, I apperciate you may not be vets but I feel a bit torn against seemingly contradictory information.

I think she's just died, stress of the car journey may have been too much for her :(.
I'll keep checking just in case though

I don´t know all ingredients of malachite, but it contains copper and copper is very harmful to axies. So I wouldn´t treat my axies with malachite.

What was the vets diagnosis?

Tina

He said it was fungus, I caught it too late unfortunatly. she's not moved for 4 hours I'm pretty certain she's died to be honest.
:(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back