Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Sun glo 15 watt fluorescent light

Amanda27

Reaction score
I bought an my fist Axolotl on Saturday! I'm quite conserned that the light supplied with the tank (sun glo 15 watt) is too bright for him?

Does anyone have advice?

Thanks

tomkeogh

Reaction score
I have also recently owned axolotl. my 2 went crazy when I turned the light on so now I just use a mesh hood just in case they escape. from what I know I'd say just dont use any light,

How are you getting on, I have had a very eventful first week!

Good luck

Amanda27

Reaction score
Axolotl doesn't seem to mind the light. Struggling to keep the water clear though- have filter on? So far so good though!!

tomkeogh

Reaction score
I had cloudy water aswell, are you de-chlorinating and changing a quarter each day? check the water levels as well i didnt buy my water kit until saturday and they were all through the roof! if you are using sand that would explain the cloudy water, it might just be something that all tanks go through.

How is your little guy, my two behave completely differently but after a week they both rush to the side if the tank for there dinner. I woke up this morning and one was just chilling out at the top of his plant.

If you take some pics of your tank and axie there are alot of experienced owners who will tell you if anything looks wrong

BBJ

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
As Shizeric writes, the lighting is no problem as long as you provide ample hiding opportunities for the Axies, indeed they would prefer no light at all but that makes the tank rather boring to view, and rules out having any live plants in there.

The main issue i find with lighting for Axolotl tanks is the heat produced by it, now i dont know what kind of a tank you have there, but if its of the kind with a hood with built-in lighting (i guess since those are commonly sold with 15w lights), you might find it very difficult to maintain a cool enough temperature for your Axy.

Personally i keep my tanks with a mesh covering, and the lighting is positioned 1 feet above the water level or so, makes it much easier to maintain the right temperature.

Good luck with your new pet!

Regards Bjorn

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!