What if anything can be kept with axolotls

stranger23

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i was wondering if there was anything else axolotls could be housed with as i am making a care sheet on them to use in my fish shop when i open it and anything anyone can tell me would be great, i will be keeping my axies with other axies but is there anything else that can be housed with them? i know that most fish will nip at the axies gills is this true of all fish? i also want to know if axies of different sizes can be housed together? i have 4 that are 3 different sizes but there all housed separately as i have found that my 2 girls who are the same size fight (was told this is because i have a melanoid (black) and a leucistic together and the melanoid would attack the leucistic as it is genetically stronger not sure if this is true or not yet) and i have a mature male waiting for the girls to mature and a baby i rescued from a pet shop i would like to house them all together but dont want any of them to get hurt ive already had one in the fridge due to fighting and dont want it to happen again. Thank you for any info

Nope, only other Axolotls should be kept with Axolotls. And Axolotls of different sizes should not be kept together, as it risks injury and possible cannibalism. Wait until they are the same size, and when you do house them together, make sure there is plenty of room and hiding areas.

Nope, only other Axolotls should be kept with Axolotls. And Axolotls of different sizes should not be kept together, as it risks injury and possible cannibalism. Wait until they are the same size, and when you do house them together, make sure there is plenty of room and hiding areas.

Thank you very much thats just what i thought but im trying to get everything confirmed before i put it on the care sheet

Guppies, white cloud minnows, and rosy reds CAN be kept with axolotls as long as you accept the fact that they will become lunch for the axie at some point in time. Make sure the fish are quarantined first before adding them to the axolotl tank.

Guppies, white cloud minnows, and rosy reds CAN be kept with axolotls as long as you accept the fact that they will become lunch for the axie at some point in time. Make sure the fish are quarantined first before adding them to the axolotl tank.

Do these fish not nip the gills? and would you need to keep numbers to a minimum to prevent the axie from being hurt by nipping? also guppies are tropical fish and axies are cold water so how does that work surly the guppies would not like the cold water and if you heated the water for the guppies you would stress the axie out? sorry for all the questions i just want the info to be correct and for me to understand how you could have tropical and cold in the same tank

When I have guppies or minnows in with my axies, I know they are food sources, so I wouldn't really consider them tank companions. Guppies can stand the temperatures that Axolotls require, although it is certainly outside of their normal range. They won't breed at their normal rate, if at all, but they will survive.

White cloud minnows, on the other hand, do have similar temperature ranges as Axolotls, and will do well unless swallowed.

and no, these fish are normally non aggressive and will not nip the gills. (at least from my experiences and what I have read from others)

Cherry shrimp can be in the axolotl tank, but as Shizeric said about the feeder fish, the shrimp are more of a food source and will most likely be eaten.
If putting freshwater shrimp in with axolotls they will need to be quarentined as mentioned above i think
Mel

Thank you all very much for the info you have been a real help

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back