Illness/Sickness: Pregnant Cynops pyrrhogaster problems

evut

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Eva
Hi, you may have seen my previous post - newt has had eggs (probably) for a long time and I noticed some egg laying behaviour.
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...er-help/66721-trying-lay-eggs.html#post221090

This newt has not laid any eggs. Today I noticed this animal struggling to get rid of some white stuff coming out of the cloaca (unfertilised eggs???). She was really straining, dragging her bum on the floor of the tank (with the 2 males following her eagerly the whole time). Her cloaca looks sore.
She seems ok now but it was painful to watch... What is going on and can I help her? I'm really worried.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• P1180011resized.jpg
    P1180011resized.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 2,830
  • P1180017resized.jpg
    P1180017resized.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 385
  • P1180024resized.jpg
    P1180024resized.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,061
Judging by the pictures i can´t help but think it´s just a spermatophore. I´ve never seen a female trying to get rid of one like that, so that´s weird.
The round white thing looks like an egg, but the color is all wrong, which brings me to my other theory xD which is that what she was trying to get rid off, and the white round thing, are dud eggs, but that´s just an hypothesis.
By the way, the cloaca seems perfectly fine to me.

Well the stuff actually didn't look like egg so much, just that one round piece was kind of holding a shape. She also had a bit stuck to her chest which at first freaked me out because it looked like it was coming out of there. Otherwise it was like some kind of white fluff/goo.
So maybe you're right about the spermatophore...
Also the 2 males were going absolutely crazy...they court the females - especially this one - all the time but with this she couldn't shake them off.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back