Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ribbed Newts Cleaning (Help?)

Dasher

Reaction score
Ive got 4 SRNs. and i clean them out completely about once evry 45 days or so.
this means completely changing water and rocks and plants and everything.
i clean the sides and do partial water chages regularly.

I really am not sure what i am doing, so any correction would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Dasher-

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Mmmm...not the wiser choice, really.
If you completely clean the tank every 45 days, you are basically constantly annuling the cycling process. Therefore your tank should be very inestable, with parametres going crazy after every cleaning. This is very dangerous to your newts, since ammonia or nitrites can raise to dangerous levels and even kill the animals.

The best way to keep a tank is to fully cycle it before introducing the newts, and then follow some simple maintenance, like weekly 20% water changes, removal of left-over foods and decayed matter, etc. You never have to clean the rocks, or the plants...
Older, well stablished tanks are muuuuuuuuuch healthier and stable than a fresh one.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One important question is, what is the size of the tank? If the tank needs such drastic cleaning, it could be too small.

I agree with Azhael, it would be much better to do less drastic cleaning, but more often.

This article might have some info that will make things clearer:
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1