Sites by calgary ab

maelstrom

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
maelstrom
Does anyone go out herpin close to calgary? If so where abouts cause i'd like to start but have no idea where to go.

Your best bet is to learn what salamanders or other herps are in your area that you are interested in finding. Then do a little research to find out when they are active and what type of terrain they are fond of. For instance, four-toed salamanders (Hemidactylium scutatum) breeds early in the year and can be found guarding its clutch of eggs in moss or leaf litter mounds on the edge of vernal pools and other fishless waters.

Please note that posting exact locality data is against the rules of Caudata.org. Only general herping advice is allowed to protect wild populations of animals from poaching or over collecting.

I going to guess that considering the semi-desert climate of the Calgary area you're not going to find much around there. For that matter, probably the only caudate that you might find in Alberta would be Tiger salamanders. I'm not sure that they are legal to collect or keep here. I'm in Edmonton

we apparently have long toed sals and tigers around here. Im just trying to find general areas so i can go and get pics in the wild i dont want to catch anything they are where they should be only captive breed or store bought for me

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back