Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: I can't walk on this...

Squid

Reaction score
I have a question.
What do you guys have on the floor of your tanks?
I have some large-ish river stones, which are brilliant at hiding uneaten food and excrements between them...
I'd like to take them away. But I don't know what to put there instead? I heard that the Axy's don't really like just sliding over glass...

lea

Reaction score
hi squid

you can leave the tank with a bottom bare or you can put sand on it.......i have very small gravel under 1mm and that is small enough to go though if the axie eats it by accident.......
lea

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Or have pieces of tile cut to the size of your aquarium floor....as easy as bare bottom, but with some texture and better looking

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
I have slate tiles covering my tank bottom. I got them cut (like shizeric suggested ), and the slate looks really nice because it looks so much like rock.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
My tank has no substrate at all, and my three axolotl have no problem moving around. If you look closely at the tips of their toes they have a soft tip, this looks to me like very small suction cups..Have a look next time they put their feet on the glass side.

shoegal

Reaction score
I use black sand, and my axies seem to really enjoy it. It doesn't get stuck in their tummies when they hoover it up, and my goldens stand out nicely against the dark background.

Squid

Reaction score
Hey i'm liking the tile idea. I never would have thought of that.

Truffs

Reaction score
Hi, I'm still deciding what base to go for too - i tried big pebbles/stones and found the same as you - they look good but hide all kinds of stuff that suddenly emerges at cleaning time or at the swish of a tail!

I'm looking into using slate tiles right now, i have removed the pebbles and have a bare base at the moment and have to say my axies don't seem bothered by it at all to be honest, but i'd like to try slate as i think it looks great as well as being practical.

Squid

Reaction score
Ooh. Let me know how that goes for you. With the tiles though. Doesn't anyone worry about the putty substance between the individual tiles? Or the mesh beneath them? Or does that not hide any dangerous chemicals?

axiegaz

Reaction score
i have sand on mine but as far at the tile sealant goes i believe you use a silicone sealant rather than a grout of any type

Shizeric

Reaction score
Ooh. Let me know how that goes for you. With the tiles though. Doesn't anyone worry about the putty substance between the individual tiles? Or the mesh beneath them? Or does that not hide any dangerous chemicals?

Do not use putty or mesh...you can use silicone if you want to secure the tiles, but I just put the tiles bare onto the glass of my tank, and a bit of sand to fill the small cracks in between the tiles.

tomkeogh

Reaction score
You should silicone if you are not worried about re-sale value, If not you HAVE to put sand as a base as well as grouting any thing abrasive like rocks or slate and other ornaments should not come in direct contact with glass, a scratch could lead to a chip which will lead to a crack which will lead to a nightmare, especially if your axolotl goes shooting around the tank moving everything against the glass.

I may not know much about axolotl but I know a lot about glass, please use sand or silicone.every pet shop near me sells the aquarium sealant and is not very expensive

bangadrum

Reaction score
We bought a 3'x1'x1' tank with stand from ebay for £30ish, then siliconed (using aquarium non-fungicidal silicon) small slate tiles down. From my investigations looking underneath the tank nearly all tiles have a full seal and are still dry underneath, some have a very very tiny leak, which doesn't concern me unduly.

We wanted large slate tiles, but budget dictated otherwise.

To be honest unless your take is HUGE or a special shape I wouldn't worry about resale value, it'll be not very much at all, and silicon your slate down.

Photos of our setup are in my profile gallery thing.

Shizeric

Reaction score
Bangadrum, just wondering why you suggest siliconing the slate down? I have slate, and there is no chance at all of it ever moving, so what's the point of using silicon?

bangadrum

Reaction score
Our slate tiles are small and can easily move, I can imagine larger tiles could fit much tighter.

Sealing them also prevents organic matter decaying under the tiles and upsetting the water chemistry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1