Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hide question

K9skennel

Reaction score
pt2861.jpg

we saw this yesterday and arent sure if it would work for Spike. since he burrows down, would he care this was already dug out and use it?
how much room would he need? does it lilke it snug or room to manuever?
has any one seen or used something similar to this?

thanks

K9

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
In my opinion, these are a bit overpriced. The other issue is it would be a bit dry in there for them. Also, burying it in the substrate would be a real pain. For a subterranean display chamber in my tiger enclosure, I used some PVC pipe cut so that when it fits up against the glass you can see inside it. The principal is the same as this unit, but far less expensive. Truthfully though, my tiger only uses it once in a while. She likes to dig around and build her own.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
These hides work well for lizards, which are fairly agile. I don't think it would work well for a tiger sal, as they would have difficulty turning around inside, and would probably never find their way in to begin with.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Cork or wood half-logs and molded plastic huts with an entrance and no bottom (which sit on top of the substrate) also make good hides.

K9skennel

Reaction score
, I used some PVC pipe cut so that when it fits up against the glass you can see inside it. The principal is the same as this unit, but far less expensive. Truthfully though, my tiger only uses it once in a while. She likes to dig around and build her own.
would 12 inches long be about right?
do you cut it exactly in half or not quite, maybe 10:00 ish?
thanks

K9

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!