How are these larvae alive?

fbn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I have 2 (at least) fire belly newt larvae. I didn't know I even had them! The one is smaller than the other. The bigger one has front legs and it's back legs are developing. My question: I have never fed them! The tank they are in has been running for 1 year on Wednesday. So, I presume since it is an established tank it has small organisms that they are eating? I presume I should keep them in that tank, correct? When can they start eating bloodworms? Thanks!

Correct. They have been feeding on tiny creatures that naturally inhabit your tank, such as copepods, protozoans, ostracods, planaria, etc...
I raise all my C.orientalis larvae in the same tank, with their parents, and have decent results. You always loose the weaker ones, but if the tank is big enough, it´s heavily planted and it´s properly matured, some will undoubtably survive to metamorphosis. In fact, they seem to grow faster and bigger this way...

My larvae usually ignore bloodworms until they are about an inch long. From that point on you can train them to eat dead foods easily.

If you can get live blackworms, these will be helpful in getting them from this point up to the point where they will start accepting frozen bloodworms. The larger they are at morph, the better their chances of survival as juveniles.

An alternative to blackworms is white worms. I have used both with good success. I prefer blackworms because white worms kind of freak me out....Don't ask!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back