Pale and unresponsive

shakepearemo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got two axolotls from a breeder about a month ago, and they have been living happily in a large tank together for a while. However, my tank has had a rather large build-up of brown algae recently, which I haven't have had time to clean off until today. The filter is not strong, and I've seen both of them playing with the water flow several times.

However, recently Cotopaxi (a wild-type) has been looking pale and hiding. I didn't think much of it, since he likes to hide under rocks a lot anyway. Today when I took him out I noticed him floating near the side, and managed to scope him out very easily, until every other time I've tried to get him out. He is very pale, and just floats in the water unless touched, when he wriggles a little then goes back to floating. Please can someone give me some advice on how to help him - I have no idea what's wrong and it's very scary. The other axolotl - Draco - has been swimming around normally and seems fine.

Never mind ><. After cleaning the tank I put them both back in and he's swimming around normally now. I feel really stupid for panicking, but he's apparently fine now.

hi
they do like to scare us......
lea

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back