Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP! pleaseeeeeeeeeee

PUREBLOND1

Reaction score
Hello everyone im new at this site and am still trying to work this great site teh reason why i have signed up is i have recently become a proud owner of a axalotal and am wanting a few tips and questions answered i have never had one befor and am finding teh animal verry confussing

the few questions i am wanting help are on..

1. i had a big mix up with my tank and all sort of problems and teh end result was i had to set my tank up brand new and use stability in my tank to start it all up
wich is going good well as far as i know

2. recently i have noticed balled about teh size of a 5c peice or evan smaller floting around my tank im not sure what type of fungus it is or evan if it could be eggs??
im worried i have tryed to get it all out but there is still a few more pieces

3. how often should i be putting in frozen drink bottels iv been putting them in every chance im home id o work alot tho and am not home most weekends
so i try work his feeds around my busy life to make sure he's fed

4. i have been advised to feed him bllodheart is it?
but i was reading tehy should only be used at treats wich i wasnt advised :(

and i find im still getting use to feeding him and he kind of scares me beacuse me is quite agressive and feeding him out of my fingers kind of freaks me out ,evan tho i think i scare him more by moving my hands out of his hand rapidly when he snapes at my fingers so beacuse im doing this iv resorted to dropping teh food infront of him and most of teh time he eates it but there is times teh food just defrosts and breaks into little bits and then are uneatable.....wich i have been told bring on amonia in his tank :S
wich i dont want to be a problem???

sorry for all teh questions but any help would be apriciated i am verry unexperienced and would love to keep my new friend safe and helthy???

thanks jaz?
personal message would be great thanks

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
OK, here goes my shot at your post.

1. I'm not sure what stability is but your better off not adding anything but dechlorinator. Now, since your tank is recycling all over you'll need to test the water and test it often until it's done. Don't forget that during this time you'll need to do frequent water changes to prevent an ammonia build up.

2. We'll need a picture of this to tell you definitively what it is.

3. Keep putting bottles in there for as long as the water is too warm.

4. Bloodheart is only good as an occasional treat. Your axolotls diet should consist of earthworms or pellets as the staple. Switching to earthworms would also help because you could just cut the worm up to the appropiate size then drop them in the tank, the axie will sniff them out. Also instead of using your fingers try finding a long pair of tweezers, they work wonders.

If you haven't found it yet, axolotl.org is a great place to learn a ton about your new pet.

PUREBLOND1

Reaction score
OK, here goes my shot at your post.

1. stability puts good bacteria in the water and evans out everything in teh water

2. i just tryed taking a photo of the mould but it wont come up clear enought to see what it is sorrry

3. and yes but eg. what happen if im not home for teh day or 2 and i am not able to put water bottles in her tank will it affect every time im home and not busy i do and i change it over once its melted does it mater if teh water bottles arent concistent?

4. yes i thoughtso well ill have to get on to that and swap his diet and i have tryed tongs but they seem to scare him alot he freaks out and swimes away it really seems to stress hiim out :(

thanks for your help i need it :(

PUREBLOND1

Reaction score
can an axalotal lay eggs evan if a male isnt present in teh tank

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I would forget about using the stability then. It is a waste of money if you ask, those products are mostly hit or miss, mostly miss.

If you're not going to be home everyday then water bottles is not the way to go to cool a tank. Have a read through this article on cooling methods.

If you use worms you won't need tongs. Just drop the worm chunks in the tank, the axolotl will find them just fine.

It is possible for an axie to lay eggs without a male present but the eggs would be about the size of a pea and are usually attached to objects in the tank.

PUREBLOND1

Reaction score
yeahh well so far its going good im on day 5 now i only have to continu the treatment for 7 days so i guess finishing the last 2 days wont hurt.

oh ok once i get a lil more money i mite think of other options

yes well im thinking thats wat they r they are floting around my tank but most of them are attatched to my plant,is it normal for them to lay eggs why is this ?
thanks jaz

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!