Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP! What are these little white wormy things in my tank?

saraknight

Reaction score
I've got my tank all setup ready for my Axis which are ordered and coming the end of next week and now I've noticed these tiny wormy things on the glass, about 2mm in length. There are quite a few baby snails in their too, are they anything to do with them? Will my axies eat these things or are they going to be a problem? Am worried and don't want to put chemicals in if I can help it as I've gotten the water perfect but I also don't want to put my axies in if they're going to harm them. The axies I'm getting are going to be between 5-10cm in length if it helps.:(

shoegal

Reaction score
Can you take a photo of the worms? They might be planaria. Don't add any chemicals to the tank until you know what you are dealing with. Amphibians are very sensitive to chemicals.

saraknight

Reaction score
No they are so small that they look like blurry dots :( just don't want to put my axies in there unless I know its safe

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Have a look through this article and this article to see of you can find pictures of what is in your tank. Small critters are unavoidable and are, for the most part, the sign of a healthy tank. It's when they explode in numbers that signals a problem.

saraknight

Reaction score
thank you for your help, I think they are probably planaria, its just probably because there is nothing in the tank to eat them that I've noticed them. At least thats put my mind at rest, thanks again everyone! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!