Pink/white patch on Barnaby's back?

Biance

Reaction score
Country
Australia
A couple of months ago Barnaby's skin was in a very bad way: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ink-theres-something-wrong-barnabys-skin.html

But (and I should have come back to update, sorry) I left him in the fridge with 100% water changes every day for about a month, and eventually his skin fully cleared up. I finally got a (free) reply from Dr Richmond and he said it was probably caused by high temperatures and that I could reduce the temperatures of his water with a fan directed onto the water to increase evaporative cooling. I reorganised his tank, bought him a new filter, gave him a fan, bought him a live plant and got his water tested at a pet shop. I put him back in there and he has been doing GREAT! He's been in there about a month and a half now and he's a whole new axolotl, I think he's been sick the whole time I had him before, because now he eats immediately out of my hand and swims around the tank, reacts to people walking past, etc etc. I've been feeding him as much as he'll take and he's very slowly gaining a little belly.

However, he has always had a little pinky-white spot on his back, since before the skin sloughing. I kept an eye on it but it never grew or changed so I figured it must just be a part of his colouring. Until this past week or two, when it has quite suddenly doubled or even quadrupled in size, and is now even 3D, maybe sticking a millimetre or two above the rest of his back. I don't know what it is, but my best guess is some kind of fungus?? I was thinking maybe I should start him on some salt water baths? But I figured I should check with you guys first, so what do you think?

P1160622.jpg

P1160619.jpg

P1160615.jpg

What are you water parameters (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, temperature)? And he seems really skinny, how much and how often do you feed him?

I don't know I get the water tested at pet shops, but it was good a few weeks ago, I will try to get some tested today though. Yes I know he is skinny, I am feeding him as much as he will take. I generally give him half a cube of beef heart and liver once or twice a day, sometimes he'll take it morning and night and sometimes he'll only take it once. I also have frozen blood worms and white bait but I find them very messy to feed to him and he doesn't like them as much, is there a better way to be giving those to him?

A few weeks ago doesn't mean anything, ammonia can spike, or other things can foul the water, I highly suggest buying a kit. That diet also isn't the best....you need to try earthworms if you can, those would be best. Perhaps the wriggling worms would peak his interest. What about temp?

Where can I get earthworms suitable for feeding him from?

I haven't been able to find any thermometers that are for temperatures low enough for him, they are all for tropical aquariums, but his water is cold to touch, it's definitely under 20, which is as low as all the thermometers I've seen can go.

Check your garden or anywhere you know pesticides or fertilizers aren't present.

No earthworms in my garden because it's all sand.

I went to the pet shop, the lady seemed very knowledgable. The pH was too low and the ammonia was too high, she suggested a 50% water change now and 30% every 3 days and then to come back in 10 days to retest ammonia. She sold me a gravel vac, pH test kit, thermometer and a bottle of some "biological cleaner" (is what it's called on the bottle), which she told me was bacteria to replace what the excess ammonia would have used up. She told me the gravel vac was because I should have been taking the water from the bottom of the tank for normal water changes (instead of scooping it from the top), and demonstrated on a tank with gravel in the store, where it made a huge difference. It didn't make as big a difference on my sand substrate (which she told me I should change to gravel, but I ignored that) but the water I took out was visibly murkier than the water in the tank so it was obviously making a bit of a change. She quizzed me about what's in my tank but couldn't figure out why the pH was higher, but insisted I buy the pH kit to test it myself, saying it should get better with the big water change, and to add a pinch of bicarb once a day until it goes back to normal if not. Well, I tested the water after the water change and it's gone to exactly 7 now, so that's good. She told me the axolotl cubes were good but I should only feed him once every 3 days, but I might um ... feed him every two days at least, he is so skinny! The thermometer is in his tank now and it's 25 degrees!!! What can I do to make it cooler? He has a small fan directed in the water now, I guess I'll go and buy another one tomorrow if that will help.

I took some more pictures. When I was replacing the water in his tank I noticed that from above he looks a bit strange. His belly looks fine on the right side, but on the side with the white ulcer-thing, he appears to have a pointy ... bit. It's not just the way he's sitting because I noticed it while he was at all sorts of different places around the tank.
P1160660.jpg

Here is a picture of his current fan vs. tank size:
P1160656.jpg

And here is a picture from a different angle where you can see how much the white/pink thing sticks out of his normal skin (it's just to the right of his dorsal fin-thing)
P1160646.jpg

Heya

I would fridge him right away.
The temperature is way too high and this often results in fungus and/or other issues.

I can't say for sure whether it is fungus or not, though it looks like fungus to me in the first pictures. But since it also seems to be causing swelling i might be inclined to think it could be some other form of infection/problem.
Only guessing though, you might want to get a vet to check it out.

But fridging him and getting him on a proper diet would probably be your best option to start with, beef and liver is not a proper diet, get worms or suitable pellets.
And try doing something about the temperature, 25 is a no go for Axolotls, there is an excellent article on cooling here -> Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

I hope he gets better!
Regards Bjorn

If you can get hold of the earthworms , feed him daily to build up his weight. I wonder if the lump is from a deeper infection triggered by the previos infection. Unless you can take him to the vet I would do the salt baths.
If you have ammonia I would also do 20-30% water changes daily, I feel leaving it longer will be risky as the ammona can rise quickly.
Do keep us posted.

A combination of the Ammonia levels and temperature are a sure fire way to get an ill Axolotl. It's going to be pointless doing water changes without having your own testing kit to monitor your water conditions. A chiller is the only sure way to get temp down consistently, but they can be pricey. Other than that, I suppose fridging would be your best bet, and try to get a hold of a veterinarian.

So Barnaby is in the fridge again now, while I sort out his tank. Should I also give him salt baths or not?

I'm thinking the thermometer might be broken or something, because I put it in the alternate container (for tomorrow) in the fridge and it still says 21 degrees, and there is NO WAY it is 21 degrees in the fridge, it's been in there like 3 hours.

There is an aquarium like 100 metres from my house that is perfectly happy to do free water tests for me every few days so I think I'll just go with that for now. But I will bring that thermometer back tomorrow, maybe it wasn't 25 in the tank after all.

Reliable equipment is essential, but that's awesome that an aquarium is so close, what type of aquarium is it?

As for the salt baths, I would hold out on that for now. I don't believe it looks like fungus, so until you can confirm what the sore actually is, salt baths may do more harm than good. Salt on an open would can be extremely uncomfortable, and I would assume stress an Axolotl substantially.

If he is in the fridge, keep him there until you can get readings on your tank and get an idea of what changes may need to be made.

Sorry to keep this post going, but do you know of any amphibian vets in your area who may be able to give the sore/growth a quick check?

Um, one that sells fish. I don't know, it's not the one I got Barnaby from.

Okay then, no salt baths it is, just keep him in the fridge for now until the tank water is better. The temperature is starting to get cooler now too so that's good :happy:

Yeah, if I by quick check you mean $200 minimum call out fee. I will try emailing someone at school a picture though.

$200 call out fee? Why wouldn't you bring your Axolotl to the vet. rather than the vet coming to you?

He doesn't have a clinic, he only does callouts. It's stupid. I asked last time, and then it costs more if he actually DOES anything.

Oops, I said I would keep this thread updated and then I didn't. But I have great news! After about a month or so in the fridge I decided to put Barnaby back in his tank. There was no sign of his white ulcer-thing becoming smaller, but his water was the correct pH and ammonia, and a few degrees lower, and I just decided enough was enough. He has been doing great! Over the past few months the temperature has been dropping as winter approaches and the average temperature in his tank (well, according to his thermometer) is now 19 degrees, and his ulcer has been very gradually fading and is now completely gone. There's absolutley no trace of it, and he had even a small version of it when I first got him. I can only assume it was the temperature that caused it? I will have to sort something better out for next summer I guess, but for now he is looking fantastic. :happy:

I've seen that sore before on several other sites. It was an indication of stress which is commonly caused by water quality. So, salt baths definitely wouldn't help.
This is one of the sites:
http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm The picture's about halfway down the page.
I'm glad your axolotl is feeling better!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back