Amphibian vs reptile

K9skennel

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
K9
My hubby is always calling spike a reptile and it makes me crazy! grrr.
so he asked what else are amphibians besides frogs, salamanders and newts or is that it?
do turtles fall in reptile or amphibian, or does it matter on which species?

K9

Toads are amphibians but I bet he considers them frogs? Turtles are reptiles.

My hubby is always calling spike a reptile and it makes me crazy! grrr.
so he asked what else are amphibians besides frogs, salamanders and newts or is that it?
do turtles fall in reptile or amphibian, or does it matter on which species?

K9

There are three types of amphibians. Frogs (and toads), salamanders (newts are a subset of salamanders) and something else called "caecilians" that no one ever really heard of unless they read about them. They look sort of like wormy snakes and live underground. Reptiles are snakes, turtles, and lizards. Tell him this, and to reinforce it, every time he calls Spike a reptile, shoot him with a rubber band. Then he'll remember. Or, call him by another man's name, and ask him how he likes it, and when he says he doesn't, say, "Neither does Spike."

I think caecilians are classed as a seprate group from newts so im guessing them too

. Tell him this, and to reinforce it, every time he calls Spike a reptile, shoot him with a rubber band. Then he'll remember. Or, call him by another man's name, and ask him how he likes it, and when he says he doesn't, say, "Neither does Spike."
thats funny!
i told him if it was a problem to go with 'Caudates' .

i hope he learns soon.

thanks for the info.

K9

Reptiles are characterized by 'scales' (for the most part). Turtles have modified scales (scutes).

Lizards, snakes, crocodilians, turtles (including tortoises) are all reptiles. They all have keratinized scales. No reptiles lay their leathery/hard-shelled eggs in water.

Salamdanders (including newts), frogs (including toads), and caecilians all have slimy, semi-permeable skin, lack keratinized scales, and (with very few exceptions) lay their jelly-coated eggs in/near water and have aquatic larvae.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back