Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Water Issue with Fire Bellied Newts

blueeyeddevil

Reaction score
Recently I've noticed these little creatures in the water of the newts tank. They are a yellowy brown colour and about 1mm in size, the only thing I can think to relate them to is head lice. They seem to swim around and crawl along the glass. Ive looked online for anything like them but I cant seem to describe them very well...

We cleaned the tank around 4 weeks ago because of this problem and they're back again now, even though we do water changes. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If they seem to "jump" then they are most probably Cyclops sp.
If you could take a picture, it would certainly help.

If they are Cyclops (copepods) then you have absolutely nothing to worry about, they are completely harmless, and actually they are benefitial because they are part of the microlife in the tank, which as a total, is what keeps the tank healthy.
There are plenty of other creatures that can appear in an stablished tank. You can see some of them, including copepods, in here:
Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Invaders: Photographs

evut

Reaction score
I have a huge population of ostracods (or something similar) in my tank. I don't like them at all but I've learned that they are indestructible so you basically just have to get used to them. On of their tricks is laying eggs under the aquarium silicone. The eggs can have delayed hatching time (I think years) so even if you bleach and boil the hell out of your tank they will eventually turn up again. People always say it will be cockroaches who will survive a nuclear or other catastrophe but I reckon it will be these creatures :D

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
Recently I've noticed these little creatures in the water of the newts tank. They are a yellowy brown colour and about 1mm in size, the only thing I can think to relate them to is head lice. They seem to swim around and crawl along the glass. Ive looked online for anything like them but I cant seem to describe them very well...

We cleaned the tank around 4 weeks ago because of this problem and they're back again now, even though we do water changes. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

I have these too; nothing to worry about as everyone else said. i think they hitched a ride on a plant I got :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1