Please help

meagsi1

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Any advice would be welcomed!!
I have 2 axolotls and they are currently in the fridge.
Im in perth and we have just had a heat wave. The tank temp is the same temp as what is in the tropical tanks, minus the heater.
Did have internal power filter, changed to external on which hangs on the edge yesterday.
Their tails were curled at the tips. one eats heaps and is plump and the other will nibble if enticed but then spit it back out and is skinny.Ive had them for about 2 months.
Any advice on how to cool tank long term using less electricty. Tried floating iced containers. water went from 24`c to 14`c quiet rapidly but it is a quick solution as it melts quiet quickly.
meagan

24 to 14 quite rapidly is awful for an Axolotl, such rapid changes in temperature can be stressful and be pretty bad for them. Not many options are gonna use less electricity, as fans/chiller/mini fridge is your best option. Be careful of Hang Over Tank filters, as they tend to produce a great deal of water flow.

meagsi1

i had problems with the water temp as well...like shizeric said there isnt much you sould do without using power.....i put extra hose onto my filter(i have a canister filter) then i put the filter and/or hose in the esky and surround it with ice you will need to replace the ice morning and night (on really hot days maybe druing the day as well) but using this way in can get a bit expensive buying ice all the time.......the best thing is to but a chiller in our climate....im saving up for one.....
lea

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back