Question: How long before they look more like Axolotls should?

Jackie Stone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When do the Larvae get their colouring and look more like little versions of their parents and also I have 3 Leusistic type,when they grow will they be easy to tell apart?Thanks Jackie

You can tell what color a baby will be very early, pretty much right after hatching. After a few months and development, Axies look like small forms of adults. It may never be easy to tell apart, many axolotls look extremely similar.

Sometimes they take a little while to be definate.
Some leucistic can be marked with pigment when newly hatched. Getting lighter as they get older. And some leucistic develop freckles when they get older.
Some albinos dont look gold for a couple of months too.

I had some greeny looking larvae at hatching and they went gold.

As for telling them apart, its possible some may have different lengths gills and have freckles, and different behavoiours, so you may be able to tell them apart.

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back