Identify cause of death please :)

toxictart

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A while a go i lost my axolotl azura my other 3 are fine and i just wanted to know see if any one can identify the cause off death?
she was perfectly plump for ages and then suddenly lost weight and i mean like in a couple of days her ribs where very visible and she hardly moved i have been looking thought the pictures off her and noticed she had a very swollen tummy could the pebbles off blocked her food? any help would be appreciated i just want to find out why she died i have changed the pebbles to proper rocks now so no need to worry about my other 3 thank you,

i fed her 1 blood worm cube every 2 days when she lost her leg ( shown in the picture) i fed her 1 earth worm and 1 blood worm cube every 2 days then she got very very skinny and i fed her two earth worms every day she still got very very skinny

Attachments

• Photo075.jpg
    Photo075.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 294
  • Photo088.jpg
    Photo088.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 217
  • Photo089.jpg
    Photo089.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 235
  • Axol and azura.jpg
    Axol and azura.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 232
  • Photo090.jpg
    Photo090.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 203
  • Photo146.jpg
    Photo146.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 221
  • Photo179.jpg
    Photo179.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 212
  • Photo192.jpg
    Photo192.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 312
the picture i have uploaded of her when i noticed she had a very swollen stomach.

Attachments

• Photo085.jpg
    Photo085.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 209
Swollen stomach? I would say impaction, probably by swallowing a stone. Can result in loss of appetite and sudden death.

Thank you that is what i assumed poor thing im glad she is at rest now so i done the right thing to change their pebbles? she ate alot thought witch was very strange just never gained weight.

I am happy to hear that you got rid of the gravel. There are far too many posts on this site regarding axies ingesting gravel and getting very ill. Best of luck with your other 3!

It is also very possible that she had some sort of growth or tumor in her abdomen. Extreme weight loss without loss of appetite can be an indication of some types of cancers.

However, it was a good move on your part to get rid of the gravel.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back