Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Different growth rates.

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Hello, I have had my two axolotl for over 3 weeks now.

When I first got them they were both about 4.5 inches long and roughly the same size, my albino was slightly slimmer but only on very close inspection.

The albino is very reclusive and prefers to hide than play and I had trouble with her feeding at first he/she has settled down now and they eat the same amount usually 10 or so long life blood worms or 7 or so meal worms every day.(earthworms are too thick for them to swallow right now)

So, they both eat the same amount but the albino is now noticeably 'fatter' then the laucistic, her body is the same width as her head so it is more a case of the laucistic being under weight then her being over weight.

Are different growth rates normal, I am certain the laucistic is healthy and eats enough, I know this because after he is fed he takes a big poo. I resist the urge to feed the albino more as she clearly wants because I want him to catch up to her.

Should I be worried?

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Great, he is more aggressive then the albino so I'm not too worried about her attacking him, I do wish he fattened up a bit though is a little slim, swims around like a maniac though dont know if they burn off weight more doing this.

melfly

Reaction score
Do keep trying with earthworms though Tom.
I have been finding small ones in my garden about 2 inches long and really thin. i chopped one of these up for my lil dwarfy who is about 4 inches big and he ate both pieces.

Mel

tomkeogh

Reaction score
believe it or not there is no dirt in my garden, I have to buy the earthworms, I dont really want to start digging up the play park next door! ill try to find a different seller as I think the ones I bought may be the 'red' kind. the length of the worm is not a problem they have taken bloodworm and meal worm over a inch long like I say think it is width can only find one shop that sells aswell

I just noticed a piece of gravel in the tank, taken over two weeks to pass!

Last edited:

melfly

Reaction score
Hi Tom

You may find gravel for a few more weeks yet lol.
It could be the choice of worm, have you thought of setting up your own wormery?

Also I think he will catch her up at some point and they will probably be similar size.

Mel

KINGOFTHEMODS

Reaction score
i have to buy worms too, i dont go pet shops for them i get them from fishing tackle shops because they sell all different sizes and types

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Success they have had two earthworms each, have set up a very small wormary with half a kilo of worms so hopefully they last a while

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1