Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hey :) new here, thinking about getting an axolotl

frstdlmncwrd

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just got this account today. So.... I was thinking about getting an Axolotl.
Can anyone give me some tips, advice, umm...anything?? :)
I live in the US btw. I also have a 20 gallon tank with 3 freshwater fish (it had an ick contamination a few weeks back and I had to start over with a new tank and fish). Would this be an appropriate home for an axolotl? Or should I get another tank?

p.s.- I have a filter that hangs from the brim and a separate 5 gallon plastic tank.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Welcome, and you will find ALL the information you need on caring for an Axolotl here on this site, just take a look and you'll be set. The general rule is to not mix anything with Axolotls, unless it is meant to be food, and there are specific types of fish that are appropriate for this. Hang Over Top filters are fine, but you have to be able to place something near the water flow to dampen it a good deal, as axies are stressed by flow in their tanks.

Good luck, and feel free to ask LOTS of questions, as there are a good deal of folks around here ready and able to give you a hand.

lea

Reaction score
hi
welcome to the forum...there is alot of onfo here....and the people are great....
lea

frstdlmncwrd

Reaction score
Thanks guys :)
So far, the site's been really helpful and everyone seems to actually appreciate all the "little critters" out there.
Thanks for the tank info,
I'll get 'em a separate tank next week if I get my axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1