Cynops e. popei tank

GeoNewt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just finished re-doing the 18x12x15" tank that houses my two C. e. popei. I thought I'd post some pictures and see what you all make of it. Is there anything that you would change, or is wrong with the set-up?

Attachments

• IMGP2087.jpg
    IMGP2087.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 335
  • IMGP2089.jpg
    IMGP2089.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 252
I don't see anything wrong. They might like some additional plants and hides.

What is the ambient temperature in the room where this is? The submersible filter will produce some heat, enough that you probably don't need the heater. I'd recommend trying without the heater and see what kind of water temp you get. If it's above 17C, ditch the heater.

Judging by the size of the thermometre it looks like the tank is not very big...how many litres is it?
I´m saying this, because it is in your best interest and your newt´s to have as much water volume as possible, and there really is a lot of wasted space there...
I agree, more plants would be great too.

Thanks for the feedback. I put the heater in because the newts are in a utility room which gets down to about 5 degrees in winter, and whilst I appreciate that the newts will tolerate cold temperatures I thought it would be a nicer temperature for them with the heater. It only takes the tank up to about 15 anyway, but it will be coming out very shortly as the room warms up. Sorry, I don't know the tank volume in litres, but it is 18x12x15". The reason I haven't used all the height is because the tank is not very long and it is difficult to have the wood jutting out of the water whilst being secure seeing as it would be at such as steep angle. I did wonder about using cork or other synthetic land areas, but I do not think this looks as good as the driftwood.

So it´s about 50l. Since you only have half the volume used for water and the drift wood and rocks take up lots of space, i´d you probably have around 20l of water in the tank....which is not enough for a pair of Cynops. I know it´s just an opinion, but personally i think the minimum volume should be 10 gallons (40l).
Having such a dirt-trapping substrate you really should consider having a bigger volume of water...otherwise it will foul quickly, even if you have a filter, which the newts may not apreciate.

I know the drift woods sticking out of the surface looks good, but there are other things one needs to think about other than aesthetics....

Thanks again. The newts are only about 4" at the moment, and so from what I have read and been advised by other people this tank would be spacious enough for two juveniles. I understand that at the end of the day the animals wellbeing is more important than aesthetics, but it is one of the main display tanks and so I would like it to look nice if that is at all possible. As you advised I will be adding more plants, and I understand that this will (if in a small way) help to maintain good water quality. Also, what substrate would you recommend that doesn't trap dirt?

Sand is a much better option and i recommend it. It also looks very nice.
If at all possible, you should try to find a way to satisfy your aesthetic needs and yet raise the water volume as much as you can. Your newts will benefit from it, and you too since it will make things easier.

If i insist is not only because i´m an annoying twit, but also because i know it´s very advisable :p

Yeah, sand would look great, especially with that driftwood. I bet if you do switch over to sand, youll be amazed how much waste you find trapped between those rocks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back