Australians and Anchorworm

Lissy89

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm just posting this incase anyone else ever suffers from anchorworm within Australia, to save them the headache I had, the weeks of researching while my poor Lucy & Milly got worse.

General advice given on this forum is to use a product called Dimilin. Dimilin is the commercial version of a chemical called Diflubenzuron... which is actually illegal in Australia in this form, and contains penalties if caught by customs trying to get it sent to the country. You CAN buy it online though, if you get it through, lucky you!

"Strike", by Coopers Animal Health contains Diflubenzuron, and despite actually being a sheep drench for lice and ticks, is perfectly safe for axies (cleared by my vet and our axolotl supplier at work). However, it costs around $300 for 5 litres -- no other way to buy it -- and if you can afford it more power to you!

My only and final solution was a product called ParaGone, of which I was wary of using regarding it's safety in axolotls. I halved the dose, did a water change 24 hours after, and repeated 48 hours later. Bingo. My vet instructed that the dead worms can be pulled out CAREFULLY, using good tweezers. Grasp at the base, and pull steadily. Treat water with Melafix to aid in wound healing.

While I'm extremely grateful to all who helped, I just want to tell everyone to be cautious of taking highly regurgitated advice from the forum without first doing your research, and consulting a vet. Even what I'm saying here should be corroborated with your own research and advice from a vet.

If this helps even only one person out there, I'll be happy :happy:

ONCE YOU GO AXIE, YOU NEVER GO BACK!!

You should add the tags anchorworm and axolotl to this thread, to make it more easily searched if someone encounters the same issue.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back