Ksenia

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Ksenia
Hi, I have just become a member of Caudata.org but have had my axolotl for over 5 years now. At times there are things that i need to find out about the axolotl care/feeding etc and have used axolotl.org website and now have come across this website which tends to be more informative as other members discuss their pets.

Hopefully I could be of some use to others regarding axolotls as well as other members helping me out in continual care of my axolotl.

My axolotl is white with dark spots on the top of the head. However recently I had noticed that she has little spots on the bottom of her stomach that run along the stomach lengthways and are in the middle so its not from neck to tail... would this be just the colouring of the axolotl or would you think its something else?

While I am askine this question I have another one...
Usually at night she does tend to be more active however she splashes around the water while at the surface or swiming very fast on the bottom, which is enough for me to hear from the bedroom, when I have come to have a look at what she is up to I seen her just being in the corner of the tank at the top and swiming hard out as if she is trying to get through the glass. Other times she is trying to climb on top of the filter that is attached to the inside of the tank below the water surfarce and is in the corner. Would this be normal? is she getting a fright from something, or is it out of boredom or skin irritations?
any feedback is welcome​

Welcome to caudata! Feel free to post your questions in one of the froums made for these kinds of problems. Sounds like problem #2 could be stress.

hi knesia

welcome to the forum....i dont know myself .....but have you checked the water????what is the tank temp???...i agree with petlover ...you might get more help if you questions in one of the other forums.....your axie could have gotten a fright or the water parameters might be a bit off....someone with more knowledge will be able to help im sure.......if it helps my axie abby does the same thing some times.....
lea

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back