Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2nd attempt at tank layout!

Truffs

Reaction score
OK, I'm still undecided as to the final look for my axie tank - i suspect it could be a permanent work in progress as i keep getting inspired to try different ideas from seeing other peoples set ups!

So far i have removed the pebbles (with a few large ones left as plant anchors) and have a bare base (for the moment - i plan to try slate soon). In addition to the shop bought 'log' i have added 2 more hides in the form of drain pipes, one T shape on the back wall with 2 open ends and a front hole to pop out of and one open ended corner piece. Both axies love these, the only downside has been that i got black pipes which means my wild type can do a great 'invisible axie' impression when near them!

I am also using a feeding dish at the front when feeding blood worms as it stops them wriggling away quite as fast! This has worked pretty well so far although i dont bother with it for earthworms as i hand feed those and anyway even if dropped they dont wriggle away as quick as sneaky little bloodworms! Initially i put some stones around the pot in case they needed a step up to find it - i soon found out they didnt need steps, they can sniff out bloodworms pretty easily so those stones have gone too!

Both axies seem happy, they're nicely active and seem to enjoy exploring their home! I've only had them 3 weeks but i'm sure they've grown, i swear their colours look brighter too!

Axietank1a.jpg

Tank set up - pic taken from above

axietank8.jpg

Bit of a fuzzy pic, not sure if its caused by the camera or me - probably me lol!

AxieRoseLog.jpg

Rose, leaning casually on a log surveying the new set up!

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's coming along very nicely!

The addition of slate should be interesting - I hope you'll post pictures. You may inspire me to change from sand to slate! ;)

tonimeloni

Reaction score
very nice tank you have there your axies deffinately seem to like it :rolleyes:

tomkeogh

Reaction score
I love that little look your gold has...like a captain at the helm! I have the same issue with pvc piping and my wild. I went to Wickes and they had light brown and white piping...I would imagine there are some aquarium friendly paint you could use.

wendyatk

Reaction score
nice set up you have and looks like your axies love it :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!