Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Me again haha sorry

teztroubadour

Reaction score
My axolotl Francis is recovering from his seemingly never ending skin problems. I went to a new aquarium shop (new to me anyway) an hour away from here and the owner seemed to know a lot about axies. She said it sounded like he has some parasites and that this stuff called Formalin Malachite Solution will help if he does. It's a small dose 1ml per 40L but i'm still wary of adding anything to the water. He's in the fridge still too, to keep him seperated from my healthy boy. Was just wondering if anyone's used this stuff or been told this before? I had a look but I couldn't find any information on it, only that it's aparently a chemical.

Sorry to keep harassing everyone, I can't take him to a proper vet because I can't afford to take him to sydney as well as vet bills etc I want him to get well but i can't just go shoving random chemicals into his water.

vladimere

Reaction score
Well $150 later n a vet visit as my male turned out to have a parasite of sum sort after a skin scraping and a gill clipping as our vet said 10 minute salt baths a teaspoon of salt to a liter of water for the next 5 days and after his frist bath he actually started eating again yay! i have herd of the stuff that you mentioned Never used it tho Did try fridging him too never worked but the salt bath has so far ( i use rock salt)

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
. She said it sounded like he has some parasites and that this stuff called Formalin Malachite Solution will help if he does. It's a small dose 1ml per 40L but i'm still wary of adding anything to the water.

Do not use this as it is toxic to axolotl. If you enter Malachite into the search function ( in the green heading at the top of the page), you will see a number of posts regarding this.

callina

Reaction score
I agree with bella. Please don´t use it. It´s a fish medicine which you shouldn´t use for axies. It contains copper and that is very harmful to axies. And formalin doesn´t sound harmless to me, too.

What kind is the skin problem of your axie? I cannot remember at the moment. Did you post any pics, yet?

Tina

teztroubadour

Reaction score
Wow thanks everyone, so glad I double checked now. Deffinatly won't use it now obviously. Scary how aquarium's sell these things saying that they're fine when they aren't. I did try entering it in the search thing, clearly i didn't look hard enough.

I've tried fridging and salt baths my local vet consulted a herp vet in sydney who recomended Baytril injections which I did and that got him to the point he is now. He's healthy and eating and normal apart from the grey stuff on his skin. He's a bit skinny at the moment because he wasn't eating before but he's getting bigger slowly. My local vet suggested that it might be some sort of scaring or damage because of how bad the infection was. I'll post a photo when I change his water later, don't want to harrass him unless I have too, there are photos of him from a few months ago when he was worse in another thread.

I did the salt baths a long time ago though so perhaps I should try that again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!