Possible illness

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
El Duque
Hello, I am slightly worried.
When I first put my axolotl in there tank I had gravel which was removed after a few days, I put both of them in the fridge for a day, my albino passed 5 bits of gravel but my white who I was not worried about did not pass any, it is now the best part of 3 weeks later, I found a piece of gravel yesterday morning and another 4 this morning, I arrived home from work this evening to find 4 bits of earthworm in the tank.

I have no idea which one of them or indeed if both of them are responsible, all the gravel this morning was in a pile so i assume it is only one of them, the worms this evening were also in the same spot in the tank.

for the last 4 days they have had 2 earthworms each every night, they have also has daphne, brine shrimp, glass worm blood worm, beef heart, and prawn and mealworm(minus legs and head) but only earthworms and bloodworm have been fed more then twice, my albino has also had pellets on three occasions but my white was not interested.

I am debating putting them both in the fridge for a couple days, but I am unsure as I do not know who is ill and see no signs of either being ill here are some pics so you can see, the albino is larger which i put down to the pellets and neither looks bloated. I know the pictures are not great and I will add neither of there chlocia? are swolen

I should add I have fed them one earthworm each this evening.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• DSC00098.jpg
    DSC00098.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC00103.jpg
    DSC00103.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
I apologise, I just read a post on this, so it looks like 2 weeks is about the time gravel will pass and neither has been floating a lot,

However, I would still like advice on the worms I found, I should say I remove uneaten food so they had to be puked up?

It's not a bad idea to remove food from the tank that you don't think is going to be eaten. Why let those rotting worm bits foul the tank? You should probably take them out.

Sorry, I have confused you I meant to say I do remove waste as soon as I see it, I feed by hand so all the worms that I found had been swallowed and sicked or poo'd up.

I have them in fridge now, neither has passed anything when I changed water last night, I checked on them this morning still looks clear.

Heya

Definitely remove excess food as soon as possible, it does not take long for food items to begin decomposing and fouling the water.

On the pictures the Axies look pretty healthy to me and if they are both eating then i would not be too concerned. I once received an Axy which had been kept on gravel, and i found bits of gravel for many weeks after that, as long as they are eating and passing the food it should be alright.

Now, i cant see your entire tank on the picture, but to me it looks awfully small for two Axies (of course i could be wrong since its not a full shot).

Anyway, if they are both eating which it sounds like from your post. Then i would not be concerned, and moving them in and out of the fridge on a regular basis will probably do more harm than good if you are not sure there is a problem.

Good luck with it!
Regards Bjorn

Hi Cute axies.

I found a few of my axolotls were still passing gravel a few months after i got them i even found a chunk in my single axolotls tank last week 6 months after getting her.:confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back