How can you tell a healthy earthworm/nightcrawler? (axolotl food)

bunny27

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, this is a really stupid question, but my axolotl's main diet is earthworms/nightcrawlers that I get at Petsmart. I was digging around in the box and found this worm that had 2 light patches of skin and 1-2 bigger bumps along its body. I'm guessing this worm isn't healthy since I compared it with another worm I found in the box with none of these.

So, I was just wondering, how can you tell if an earthworm/nightcrawler is healthy or not?

I tried googling this but all it gave me was some information on earthworms and organic gardens. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!

One thing I've noticed, is that when the dirt sticks to them in the box, that means they're unhealthy. They're not secreting slime as well as normally and the dirt no longer slides off. Then they're on the way to dying.

As Otterwoman writes, earthworms with dirt sticking to them is a sign of an unhealthy earthworm.

What you want is earthworms that are lively (wriggly when you pick them up), and also, they should not smell, a smelly can of earthworms is a sure sign that there are earthworms dead/dying in there.

I would not be concerned with the patches and bumps if it is otherwise healthy, earthworms will have these sort of things, particularly when mating.

Regards Bjorn

I´ve sometimes seen such worms when digging in my garden. Maybe it´s a healing wound or a healed cut - but I don´t know.

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I wasn't sure if the patches and bumps on that worm was just normal or not. Thanks again, all the information given really helped!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back