Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Badly developing embryos??

Velaria

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm currently waiting for approximately 55 eggs to hatch, and I estimate that they were laid approximately 9 days ago. I've noticed that four of these embryos seem to have developed strangely. They're somewhat malformed, and a bit more "puffy" than the rest, if that makes any sense.

My question is whether or not these babies have simply stopped developing, or whether they're still alive. My assumption is that if they were dead, then they would show signs of decay/fungus/etc., and although I have not witnessed any of them moving, that doesn't mean that they're dead. As you know, axie babies don't move too often.

It would probably be more humane of me if I were to cull the litter a bit and remove these four embryos, but I'm wondering if they're just developing more slowly than the rest, and if they'll turn out fine in the end. I guess I should post photos... hang on...

OK, here are the four that look pretty bad:

a1.JPG

a2.JPG

a3.JPG

a4.JPG

Here's one that's kind of iffy- not as bad as the four above, but still a bit malformed-looking:

a5.JPG

And here's a normal-looking one, for comparison:

a6.JPG

It looks like I'm going to end up with melanoids, doesn't it??

Thanks!

melfly

Reaction score
The ones that are obviously deformed should be removed.
put them in another container if your not sure.

As for them being melanoid..its far too early to tell.
They could be wild or leucistic or even gold, depending on the parents etc.

Mel

Velaria

Reaction score
Thanks, Mel!

What would putting them in another container accomplish? It's not as if the freaks are going to harm the normal guys, lol! I mean, not unless they're dead and decaying, which they don't seem to be.

If they are dead, then can't I expect to see some kind of decay soon? I don't see any at all.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Were all the eggs laid on the same day? If so, then I would gently suggest that these odd ones should be culled, even if they are just slow-growers. Any animal that is growing this much slower than normal should probably not remain in the gene pool. I know, I'm hard hearted.:(

melfly

Reaction score
They would go fuzzy at some point so i move mine seperate just to keep an eye on. If they turn bad then i'd get rid.
I do agree with Jennewt that any problem ones should be culled.
Or you'll end up with a load of deformed ones no one wants and you'll end up keeping them.
I have a deformed one i really should have culled early on. He cant be sold and cant be kept with others in case of breeding.
I am attached to him now but if i noticed a baby or egg looking odd i would cull.

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1