Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Maintinance during cycle

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Hello, my two guys are having a holiday in the fridge
While they are in there I want to put some new ornaments and plastic plants in there tank, this is because I will be starting the cycle on there new tank in a week or two and want a little head start,

The tank they are in now is still not fully cycled and they will only be in there for about 5-6 weeks before the new tank is hopefully ready.

My questions are;
Will removing some existing ornament and replacing with new ones hurt the cycle?
Should I still be doing water changes to the tank while they are in the fridge?
What else should I be doing to maintain the cycle while they are in fridge?
I am also going to order my new filter online today, the new tank is 250litre I am undecided between the eheim ecco, classic or proffesional range they have three filters all roughly same price, has any one owned one of these filter ranges?

Thank you

Last edited:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Adding a bit of food is good, but I fear that "a couple of cubes" may be way too much. I would have suggested only a fraction of a cube of food. If you put in too much, you risk having the tank turn really nasty.

Replacing some ornaments will hurt the cycle, but only a little bit. The beneficial bacteria live on all the surfaces inside the tank, so you will be removing some.

Given that you are adding some food to the tank, yes, you should probably continue doing partial water changes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1