Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Sick or pregnant?

Cif

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have two axolotl's, Poesje, a female and Sjaak, a male. Sjaak is a total albino and Poesje is an albino with black eyes. (and if your wondering about the names: it's Dutch, like I am too.)

My female, Poesje, isn't interested in earthworms since friday. She always was a good eater. She's since tuesday in a new (bigger) tank with my male, Sjaak, and she is a bit shy since then. But that's just her personality, she doesn't really like changes. But now she hardly swims at all, she only lays on the bottem onder the filter, or between the wood in the tank (and that's next to the filter).

Sjaak has shown mating behaviour last thursday evening and saterday evening again. May be friday too, but then I didn't notice. I am really worried about her, because I don't know if she's sick (may be swallowed some gravel) or could it be because she is pregnant? (what is really unlikely because she isn't 18cm and hasn't black toes, but my male doesn't have black toes neither and shows mating behaviour too. Besides she is from september or so, so she is only 7 months old) And besides, I thought it take 2 days to lay eggs, and those are passed already.

I have looked at her closely and nothing changed: she's not fatter, no fungus, no strange bumps or something. Also, her gills are still nice red, even now she hasn't had food since thursday morning. Normally her gills are less red/pinkish after 1 day.

I really don't know what's the matter with her. I also don't know if I should frigde her, or not. So, I hope you guys can help me out (a bit), and makes me worries some less.

Regards,
Cif

PS. I see now that my nationality is shown under my name, haha XD

Last edited:

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Perhaps she is just getting used to her new surroundings. If you just moved her in Tuesday, she would not be pregnant that quick, and certainly not showing signs of stress due to pregnancy. You said she may have swallowed gravel? Do you use gravel as a substrate?

Cif

Reaction score
But she did eat first really well... when I held a earthworm before her, she was really fast. So it just changed, friday.

And yes, I have gravel in it. I first had sand but I think it is terrible to keep it clean. I had some gravel left from my former tropical aquarium, and that is real small (like, 3mm of something). So I think they could just swallow it and poop it out, because the poops I found are much bigger then that.

callina

Reaction score
Hi Cif,

firstly, welcome to the forum, my europian neighbor:D

small gravel will be ok, she will poop it out without any complications.

Did you cycle the tank before putting the axies in? What are the water parameters (ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) and the temp?

Tina

Cif

Reaction score
Thanks for welcoming me :)

I did cycle the tank, yes. I have started up more aqua's then this one, so I know how it works.

I don't know the water parameters, but I can't imagine that's the problem. The other Axo is just fine and is having a good time.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Is this from her cloaca? If so she will need to see a vet as soon as possible.
In the mean time remove her from the current tank to a container of dechlorinated water and place this somewhere cool. If the fridge is reliable and above 5 degrees use that.
Looking at your substrate I fear she may have consumed some of the gravel, and this in turn may have caused a prolapse.

Cif

Reaction score
The gravel does look awfully big because she was sitting next to the glass so I needed to put on the macro function.

But I will put her in the fridge and try to find someone here who knows something about axolotl´s... that´s quite hard though, i think.

shoegal

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear that your axie is not doing well.

Regardless of the function you are using on your camera, I think your gravel is an inappropriate size for an axie tank. It could easily be swallowed, and by no means is it small enough to pass without complication. Imagine a rock of that size traveling through an axie's digestive system. Not fun!

If I were you, I would remove that gravel immediately.

Best of luck with your axie! I hope her health improves.

Cif

Reaction score
The gravel is replaced already, just to be sure. I did that last friday.

she's now in the fridge since friday, and she's a bit more active but still doesn't want to eat. I know, she's in the fridge so her appetite will be less, but she doesn't ate for 2,5 week now. But her gills looks fine, so I don't think I should worry about that. This morning I found that slimy white thing again in her fridgetank, so this is the second one she pooped out. I still don't know what it is :( By the way, in het fridge tank it is really clear that she has black toetips, so she could become pregnant.

The male is still just fine in the big tank and is still having a good time... but I think he does miss Poesje.

Anybody has an idea from what she is suffering?

Cif

Reaction score
Well, she's still not eating for five weeks now. She was two weeks in de fridge, but I didn't noticed any improvements and couldn't feel or see the stones so I put here back. She did well in tank for two weeks now... well, 'well'. She still didn't eat but she didn't had any other sickness or so. But this morning I looked at her and a piece of her tail was missing and it looked very nasty. She was 'fine' yesterday evening! I put her in the fridge again and noticed that she has fungus. I will get aqua salt as soon as the shops are open, but I don't know if I should change all the water in the aqua? Because there is another axolotl in there too.

EDIT
I made some pictures and she's in a salt bath right now. I now just let the salt dissolved in the water and then put Poesje in the tank. But is that the good way? Or should you just throw the salt in the little tank where Poesje is?

dsc02144i.jpg

dsc02142t.jpg

EDIT 2
I can't let the photo's work, but the stars are image shack . org... if you fill in it should work. I think

Last edited:

dragonlady

Reaction score
@Richard: What kind of salt are you using that "rots the protective coating"? I have never, never heard this before. I've had tanks for over 30 years. A little salt in a tank adds electrolytes and that in turn encourages slimecoat development. Don't dump a container in, but about a tablespoon per 10 gallons does wonders in some cases.

@cif: I don't know that salt baths are appropriate in the case of yours if she is still pooping those white, slimy things. She needs to see a vet. As a note though, don't add salt to your tank to treat fungus. Set up a small container and add the salt, allow it to dissolve and then "Place the animal in a salt bath for about 10 minutes once or twice a day. A salt bath is prepared using 2-3 teaspoons of salt (table salt, cooking salt, or iodized salt, but not "low" or "low-sodium" salt) per litre/two pints. Don't leave the Axolotl in the salt bath for more than 15 minutes each time, because the salt will start to damage the Axolotl's skin and particularly its gills. Of course, this is all useless if the animal is still under stress when put back in its aquarium (strong-flowing water, high water temperature, bad water quality, etc....)." - quote from Axolotls - Health & Diseases

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I have been told my pond is unacceptable for my beloved axolotls. So called forum experts based in the USA don't have all the solutions for the rest of the world.

Richard, just by looking at the few pictures you have posted about your "pond" I can tell your Axolotls are in bad shape and are not being kept in a suitable environment. The Axolotls shown in your pictures are unweight, and their gills look poorly.
You also keep them with large goldfish, which is an incredibly foolish move.

You show me where you found keeping these animals together was a good idea, and maybe I'll learn a thing or two.

With someone who has as little knowledge about the well-being of Axolotls as yourself, I find it incredibly ignorant for you to come here and say anything negative about the posters on this forum.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Cif - sorry to say we don't allow imageshack images because they put advertisements in them (or have in the past).

Richard - I'm sorry you're dissatisfied with this forum (which is actually British, based in Essex, England, not American). However, your language and attitude is far from constructive. Perhaps a change in these might help you to better put your point across without further offending people?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!