Question: Fire-bellied and red-spotted newts...

JayWillz

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've heard many horror stories about housing two different species together, but never specifically these two. (Fire-bellied and red-spotted newts) Has anyone had any experience/luck with their compatibility?

Thanks Bella. I am absolutely aware of the possibility for disaster, but I am curious if anyone has by chance had a positive outcome with housing these two specific species.

These has been asked in the past, and no, this two species shouldn´t be housed together.
Male N.viridescens amplex anything during breeding season, and they can drown a C.orientalis. There are also many other reasons, like patogen exchange, competition, stress, agression, differences in toxins...

Even if someone, somewhere, has had some "success" housing these two together, it doesn´t mean that disasters can´t happen. Mixing invariably involves risks. It´s your responsability as a keeper to avoid as many risks as possible, not to expose them to new risks.

Both species are fascinating, and if you get any of them, i wish you the best of lucks...but please don´t mix. Also bare in mind that the C.orientalis and N.viridescens that are sold in shops are ALL wild-caught. They are very stressed and many die shortly after being purchased. Specially the WC N.viridescens adapt very badly. Try to find captive bred ones, you won´t regret it.

Thank you very much, Azhael.

I did keep these together for several months (red-spotted and japanese firebelly). I did it because I was short on tank space for some newly-hatched babies. I have no horror stories, but I can tell you that I saw some behavior that I've never seen when the two species are housed separately. For example, I saw a red-spotted newt behaving in a very aggressive manner toward one of the fbn. No damage was done, but this indicated to me that the animals were more stress in this situation than they would be housed with their own kind. I wouldn't put them together again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back