Question: Question about Filter media

Bobert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am using a canister filter, it came with Bio Balls, ceramic rings and Activated carbon. I have read that the activated carbon should be replaced every 2-3 months. Do i replace other filter media at the same time and is that good filter media to use?

When changing the filter media does this effect the tanks cycle in any way?

Those are all good media...the filter media changes will have an extremely small effect on the cycle, but not in any way that matters..the beneficial bacteria is all over the tank, so the media isn't a big issue. And you should stagger your media replacement, so it isn't all changed at once.

With the bioballs and ceramic media, you rarely need to change these at all. The pores of the ceramic rings will clog up over time, but they are still doing their job. I haven't changed them in 5+ years.

I agree with Jen. If there is too much waste in the bioballs or the ceramic media, you can rinse it slightly with fresh water for cleaning, so the good bacteria will be alive.

Normally there´s no need to use the carbon filter over all time. It works fine to eliminate toxic substances (medicine) from the water. But in a healthy tank with good water conditions you needn´t use it.

Tina

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back