Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello, new here :)

Krystaire

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is Shay, and I recently joined this site for the purpose of including myself in a community that is equally as enthusiastic as I am about animals, even if it's just a particular kind of animal that you're interested in.

I've had a few pets in my lifetime, but my mother was always against it due to how fragile the animals were. So I was restricted to domestic animals like rabbits, hamsters, and a dog. Currently though, I have 2 African Dwarf Frogs, a Yellow Mystery Snail, and 4 Zebra Danios. It's a nice little tank community and they're so fun to watch. :)

Anyways, just thought I'd give a brief introduction. Any other information - feel free to ask me. I'd be interested in hearing about all of you as well!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome, Shay! You'll find plenty of people here who share your interest in these "fragile" animals.

lea

Reaction score
hi shay
i have a cat who is 21 years old, a axie abby who is around the 8 month old, 5 children and a husband.....welcome to the forum
lea

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi Shay,

Welcome! I had a mother very much like yours. Growing up, my most exotic pet was a guinea pig! Since then, well, things have changed...

Now, I share my home with 3 kids, a dog, 6 axolotls, 6 frogs (have never had an African Dwarf frog!), 4 fire belly toads, a paddletail newt, 5 tortoises, 10 turtles, and various fish! So you see, my hobby has become a bit of an obsession, but I love them all and wouldn't have it any other way! - That is, unless I could make room for more axolotls! ;)

Good luck with your tank, that's a cool mix and hope you enjoy being here!

wendyatk

Reaction score
wow dragonlady thats one busy household you have there!!:happy:

dragonlady

Reaction score
Yes it is, but animals are a passion of mine and we ended up with most through rescuing them from bad situations. None of the axies though, they are a huge fascination of mine! I use the animals to teach the kids compassion, responsibility, and appreciation for the world around them. To my kids: There's more to life than what you see on TV!

petlover516

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

"Fragile" isn't really the word to use-"exotic" or "vivarium" pets is really the name, as a lot of species aren't fragile at all! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1