Frozen water!!

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
El Duque
Oh dear things get from bad to worse....

My two Axolotls, Mulder and Skully (I re named them because telling everyone in my factory they were named peeky and bubbles was not very fun at all!) have been in the fridge since Friday night due to what I now know to be impaction due to meal worm.

I just got home from work to find my fridge has malfunctioned, and started to freeze there water, both were less then a quarter frozen but my poor albino's leg had started to become iced over and she was stuck! they are both now in the replacement tubs (which were not frozen I think because they were not wrapped in cloth) they both have moved and I do not think are too stressed although the change in water temp was quiet drastic but I panicked and there was no other thing I could do other then leave them in frozen water! here are some pictures they are not great but I did not want to disturb them or use the flash.

Please I need advice how dangerous can this be?

can I please add I am so upset and I really have tried so hard to give them a loving caring home I am so sorry I have made so many mistakes.

The one with the iced over leg probably has a little bit of some tissue damage but other than that I think they should be fine. My axolotl tubs regularly freeze over with a light layer of ice every winter and they are no worse for the wear.

Sorry, here are the pics

Attachments

• DSC00106.jpg
    DSC00106.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC00107.jpg
    DSC00107.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 490
  • DSC00108.jpg
    DSC00108.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 303
  • DSC00109.jpg
    DSC00109.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC00110.jpg
    DSC00110.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC00112.jpg
    DSC00112.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 294
The one with the iced over leg probably has a little bit of some tissue damage but other than that I think they should be fine. My axolotl tubs regularly freeze over with a light layer of ice every winter and they are no worse for the wear.

That is great news I am going to keep them in 10litre buckets for a day or two as the tank is not fully cycled so I do not want to put them through any more stress

I have checked my water levels in the tank since I posted very strange. Ammonia up and nitrate down!

Last edited:
All I can suggest is keep a close eye on them for the next few days, keep their water clean and as cool as possible. Rather than use the fridge , would you have a cool outbuilding or area that you could use instead? I have also accidently kept an axolotl outside over winter and he was fine..just much smaller than his siblings. She grew to be a real beauty.

They appear fine today a little agitated when they saw me but I can really blame them all I have done in the past week is move them from one tub to another, I would not want to see me either!

The albino who had the partially frozen leg looks okay, no clear sign of tissue damage, swelling or infection

as soon as I can get them in the tank the better

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back