Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

URGENT! Is he bleeding??

saraknight

Reaction score
Please help! It could be due to me being a complete newbie at this but I'm worried:( I was just watching my baby wild type (approx. 5-6" long) and I noticed as he's moved there is a red patch in the sand approx. 1 1/2cm squared. I watched longer and as he sat there I watched it come from his bum. Is he doing a wee? Do Axies wee? Or am I gonna lose him? His eating hasn't been as good as my Leucistic, but she's only half his size. He had quite a big worm the other day but he had sicked it back up overnight. He didn't want anything the next day which I thought was fair enough. I gave them blood worm yesterday which he ate some of but she's definately eaten more than him since he was sick. I haven't noticed this before at all with either so I'm really worried I've done something wrong. Please advise asap, anyone. Many thanks!!:(

saraknight

Reaction score
I don't know, it was as though he'd had a wee, it was only liquid. It stained the sand and then dispersed gradually, mixing in with the water???

saraknight

Reaction score
nope, externally he looks normal. I was just worried incase anything had gone wrong internally. His belly looks rounded both sides, but that could just be normal. I'll try to put some pics of both on in case anyone can see anything.

saraknight

Reaction score
Here's the pictures, only problem is Benni (wild type) is nervous and so difficult to get a proper picture of him. Sophie on the other hand isn't at all. Do they look ok? To my untrained eye I can't see anything?? Any advice gladly welcome though

Attachments

• DSC02593.jpg
    DSC02593.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC02602.jpg
    DSC02602.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC02603.jpg
    DSC02603.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC02596.jpg
    DSC02596.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC02600.jpg
    DSC02600.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC02601.jpg
    DSC02601.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 181

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
They do both have their gills forward..which is sometimes a sign of stress...he could have just been on top of a bit of bloodworms? When I put bloodworms in my tank, they do leave a good deal of "pinkish" around them in my tank.

What are your water parameters?

saraknight

Reaction score
Was definately not sitting on bloodworms, I watched it come out of him exactly like he was having a wee. It pooled out onto the sand and kind of sunk into the sand/dispersed into the water. Will do my parameters and also put a picture of the whole tank on here see if that shows anything. I will say though that they have had their gills like that since I got them. Have read on here about the stress bit so since I got them I've put a spray bar in and light reflectors to dim the lights. Its made no difference to their gills though. Will update again shortly. Thanks everyone!

saraknight

Reaction score
Thanks Callina :eek: I think so too!

Water parameters are as follows:

ammonia 0.0-0.1 (I've got those card charts, not easy for me to read, I'm useless)

ph approx. 7.5

nitrite below 0.3 (thats the lowest the chart shows is yellow for below 0.3 & mine's yellow)

temp. 20-21

Also here is a picture of their tank as it is now. What do you think?

Attachments

• DSC02617.jpg
    DSC02617.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 176

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Hello, I really like your tank set-up. are those log hides designed for vivariums? I saw some that look the same but assumed they could not be kept in a tank.

saraknight

Reaction score
I bought them in 'Swallows Aquatics' and they were in the aquatic area. They are just wood look and are actually made of plastic and are hollow. I'm glad you like it, thanks!

Truffs

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry i cant answer your original question as its something i have no experience of but i just wanted to say they are very cute looking axies, i love your tank too and the logs look great, they should be very happy in there :happy:

Best wishes to you and your new babies

saraknight

Reaction score
Hi Truffs

They are gorgeous aren't they, thanks for your compliments. Hope alls going well with yours too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1