Hello Everyone!

lovemysally

Reaction score
Country
United States
My name is Marianne. I am from West Jordan, Utah. That is just outside of Salt Lake City. My husband found a small (what seemed to be a baby) Tiger Salamander at his shop. I came to Caudata.org hoping to find help for him.He has been healthy for about 3 years now. But a couple days ago he started out with these tiny black spots all over then the next day his skin turned black. He wont eat. And I am worried about him. :( So I hope to find help and learn more about Tiger sallys at the same time.

Welcome to the forum Marianne. Is there anyway you can post a photo of the salamander? If not, does it look similar to the problem in this thread? What are the conditions of his tank?

Hey thanks for the reply. Yes it looked exactly like that. But a day later his whole body went black. So I tried a suggestion that Beefsteak had given to MCJUSA on 6-17-08 to use Betadine.My tiger seemed to have a lot more energy today with his 2nd treatment. Ha Ha he actually fell asleep while I was applying it! Ha Ha Also the dry, black skin from whatever this is is starting fall off his feet and a couple of other small spots. I will let you know how he looks tomorrow. I can't say we are out of the woods yet but I at least have hope again today. Oh about his environment. I have him in a 10 Gal tank with approx. 75% Dirt (the bricks that you can get at petco, petsmart,etc that you just add water to) and 25% mossy stuff (the bricks that you get from petsmart etc.) that helps keep it very slighty damp for him. Also two drift wood pieces I think that is what it is called. It is very light and bumpy but not sharp in any way, reativy smooth. The dirt and moss is about 4-5in deep so he has lots of safe places to hide. A small plant to hide in as well. I leave a small dish for him to soak himself in as well. The area around and under this dish gets very wet. I have always been able to keep him from hiding in this area until about a week or so ago. I went to change the water (which just fyi is not chlorinated.) and found a tunnel where he had been sleeping in the wettest place he could be. I feel that is probably where he got this from. But that is just my opinion. It is the only thing that has been different in the past 3 years. His environment just got too wet. If I can figure out how to get some clear pics of him I will put them up for everyone. From everything I have read about this no one seems to know what this is or where it is coming from let alone what cures it. So maybe if all who are unfortunately having to experience this will share enough info maybe we can help our poor little tigers. :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back