Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello! A newbie whos inundated with eggs!

SCRUMPY71

Reaction score
Hello all.
I recently joined after finding that I have a tank full of eggs and therefore thought I should find out more about what to do! I stumbled across this site which is very informative.
I`m Darren from Worthing and Ive got 3 axolotls. 1 white and 2 mottled black, I think they are all wild ones. Ive had the white one for 6 months and the 2 black ones for 2 months.
I`m panicking now to get these eggs or axolotls moved! The eggs are 4 days old I think. Its fascinating to watch and I`m well excited by being able to breed them, albeit unwittingly!

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi and Welcome!

You have some very big decisions to make very quickly! Being a newbie (like me), do you really want to do this right now? If the eggs are left with the parents, they will most likely be eaten and while this sounds cruel, it is nature. You need to go to the forum index and scroll down to the axolotl section, there is a subsection devoted to eggs, larvae, etc. You will find a lot of information there that may help you make the right decision for you.
Btw, if your white axie has black eyes, it is most likely a leucistic but if its eyes are light colored, it is albino. In case you did not know. You can find a link that will explain the color variations in detail too.

Also, here is a link that may help you! Axolotls - Rearing from Egg to Adult

Good luck with whatever direction you choose to take! :D

Shannon

SCRUMPY71

Reaction score
Thanks for your input, much appreciated. I have looked at the breeding section and found out what I need to do. Ive done a brine shrimp hatchery before so I will be setting one up when I get home.
The only prob is I only have a 12 litre tank which I normally use as a nursery tank. How many eggs do you think I could put in there?
My axolotl is leucistic by the way. I didnt know but I do now, thanx :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1